Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Deadwood


When we bought this property, my eyes were focused on the house since that was obviously the reason we were there. As the shock of writing a big check to purchase said property, my eyes gradually widened there scope of vision and noticed other things. One thing that soon jumped into vision were the number of dead trees scattered throughout the property. They seemed to be everywhere.

Now granted we are not far removed from one of the harshest droughts that we have seen in the last forty or fifty years, but many of the trees had been dead for some time judging by their lack of branches. Chalk it up as just one in a long line of things that the previous owners neglected. Some were probably casualties of the recent drought but whatever the case, I decided that since the weather was classic fall weather, they should be dealt with why the getting was good. As it turned out, my timing was perfect because the following day was the start of a two day rainstorm that softened the ground and would have made moving this wood a muddy affair.

My brother is a certified chainsaw instructor and regularly wields one from high up in trees hanging from ropes. Best of all, he was in the area so I invited him over to 'see' our house for the first time and to perhaps cut down a few trees. Bless his heart but six hours later, he finally cut the final and sixteenth dead tree down on our property and cut it up into pieces. I played swamp boy cleaning up all the debris and chucking it down in the timber as well as loading up the rounds and hauling them to the fire pit behind my house. I'm a bit sore but it is nice to have that project crossed off my list. Well almost anyway. I have a massive oak and two black cherry trees within feet of my house and all also dead. But I'm going to pay someone with a cherry picker and most importantly insurance to remove those.

Now all I have to do is split the wood and I'll have roaring fires all winter long in our wood fireplace. Or so I thought. The next day I pulled the electric insert off to one side and found out that who ever had inserted the insert had butchered up the bricks in the fireplace. So the only way I am going to be having fires in it is to rebuild the fireplace or to add a woodburning insert and still perhaps end up doing some masonry work. I haven't decided yet. For now, I've got some garage projects that I want to get done first.



8 comments:

Ron said...

I was hoping to see photos of an abused riding mower and attached utility trailer. :)

I need to get my saw ready for the season soon, maybe later today.

Murf said...

Inserted the insert? My you have a way with words. :-)

Ed said...

Ron - If I would have had one, you would have seen it because I would have used it. Unfortunately, I don't have a place to put a lawnmower out of the rain so I have refrained from getting one until I remedy that situation.

Murf - Call me Mr. Wordsmith!

warren said...

Campfires...lots of campfires! Who needs a fireplace?

Woody said...

Nice of your brother.

Vince said...


Trees are far more likely to drown that die of thirst. Didn't you have a summer like we've just had in '10 where a sub would be a better mode of transport than a car. That may well have lifted the water table. And it's rare indeed that a line of trees would turn up the toes at the same time. This even if they were being attacked by a fungus. You should have a grand fire in the winter all the same.

Ed said...

Warren - That we plan to do too.

Woody - He is a saint now that we are both older and wiser.

Vince - I'm sure you are right. The trees ranged in state from dead maybe six or seven years to newly dead. Of the newly dead, most seemed to be black cherry trees and those I think succumbed to the drought.

geri said...

My husband would be so jealous! He has to shell out around $200 for enough firewood to last him the winter, but he always says it's worth it =) Have fun chopping!