Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mi Padria: Take Two


In my mind, I wrote about eating at Mi Padria in the urban jungle about a year ago. It was my first experience with Ecuadorian food and due to the waitresses suggestion, we ate from the buffet. The food was good but like always, I suspected that if we had ordered off the menu it would have been much better tasting. Large quantities of food kept warm for long periods of time just lose flavor, texture and appeal. So on one of our final outings up in the Urban Jungle earlier this year, we decided to try it again and this time order off the menu. (Note: I cleaned out my cellphone camera to come up with some posts ahead of time while we transition to our new home.)

The picture at the top of the post was I think a beef empanada which is a fried turnover. It was very delicious though I think next time I will go with the chicken version which I think will go better with the somewhat sweet dough that surrounds the filling.


I wanted to get something really authentic to Ecuador so on advice from the waitress, I ordered Ceviche de Cameron seen above. It is cooked shrimp, tomatoes, onions, and peppers mixed with a citrus juice and served cold garnished with toasted corn. The civiche was excellent though I think I could have done without the toasted corn. I just felt like a cow crunching that up amidst all the other much softer stuff in the bowl.  Besides the rice that came with it, there were three patacones which were fried slices of green plantain.


My wife ordered the Arroz Marinaro which is a medley of shrimp, crab legs, clams, mussles and vegetables served over yellow rice alongside some fried ripe plantain. I much prefer the ripe plantain she had to my gree plantain which wasn't nearly as sweet. 


Though we don't normally order desert, we did this time. And as the above wonder was carried out to us, many heads turned and as the waitress made her way back up front, I heard at least two people question what we had gotten. It was Coconut Fried Banana and it even better tasting than it looked if that was possible. The coconut breading on the bananas was outstanding. The only drawback is that I had to eat fast so that I could get some ice cream to go with it since that and the strawberry is all my six year old daughter would eat.

Over the last three years, I have had many great culinary experiences up in the Urban Jungle, enough that I know I am going to have to go back from time to time even if I don't have any excuse other that just to try some new foods. Fortunately in our new house, it is about an hour and a half drive down four lane roads. 

1 comment:

sage said...

That looks good, especially the banana and coconut desert. I don't often order desert, but would have to try that (and take an extra dose of insulin)