Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Finding My Religion

St. Ambrose Catholic Church, The Hill District
 The last time we spent a weekend in St. Louis, we went to a historic Basilica down by the river near the St. Louis Gateway Arch. We really liked the place so on Sunday morning, we set off to go to it again. It was only after we were close that it hit me that it might not be open since it was in the middle of the festival that we ran into the other day. But by the time I had this thought, the exit off the freeway to it was upon me and it was blocked off, along with the next one. So by the time I was able to exit, I was a ways upriver of the Basilica and it took quite a bit of time to navigate my way through the city streets back to the right area.

When I did, I realized that the parking lot was blocked off and full of vendor trucks though there appeared to be several people standing near the entrance to the church. So I went around the block a couple of times widening my search and eventually parked in an underground motel parking lot several blocks away. We booked it to church reaching the doors all hot and sweaty only to see a sign saying that the eight o'clock mass had been cancelled. Dang.

So we headed back up towards our hotel where we would later need to check out and pulling a church out of the GPS at random, pulled up to St. Ambrose Catholic Church in the Hill District of St. Louis. Long time readers might recall it is in this same area three years ago, during a much cooler time of the year, I was pointed towards Cunetto's House of Pasta. I didn't have the address of Cunettos with me but I do know I was close. Since we were early to the nine o'clock mass, I found myself taking more pictures of the architecture. You just don't find that kind of work very often in my neck of the woods.



4 comments:

sage said...

Nice photos--you should extra stars in your crown for making going to extra mile in making the effort to get to church!

warren said...

That stained glass is incredible! I suspect there are all sorts of religious words used int he making of such a large piece of art!

Vince said...

I think it a shame that they've yet to design a hand rail that weds to the building.

The Romanesque works well with the brick.

PhilippinesPhil said...

I'm with you on the "architecture is better that is older" thing. This country is loaded with ancient Spanish cathedrals and churches, most built between the late 1500s and mid 1800s. My favorites are the ones with the flying buttresses. Truthfully, they are about the ONLY architectural structures worth looking at in the Philippines. There used to be a lot of very nice wooden Filipino structures with fancy hand wrought scroll work but most have either rotted away or been eaten to dust by termites. Modern Filipino buildings are awful, about as bad on a different level as modern American ones.