Friday, May 25, 2012

Houses: Last One I Swear!


The Realtor never got over being speechless and eventually told me that he hadn't even told his wife yet and that he would do so and get back to us. That evening he did get back and counter offered only $7k more than we offered. I told him we would think about it and get back to him on Monday, two days later. Monday morning when I called he immediately dropped the price another $4k before I ever spoke a word and if you are tallying up, only $3k more than we offered and still well under what we thought the house was worth. I knew we had a deal and it was just a matter of getting the thing done.

My wife was heading out of town for a couple weeks to study for her board exam so wouldn't be able to get back down in a timely manner. So I ended up going for a second visit myself and doing a lot of video taping and photographing the place. The second visit, being fresh and not having numbed our brains ahead of time by looking at a handful of other places we weren't interested in, was much different and for the better. Most of the things I had negative impressions on from the first quick visit actually was a lot better than I had remembered. The roof that needed replaced was actually quite new. The siding though showing its age was still good to go for a few years anyway (The posts are all rotten on the outside and need replaced) and there were little features here and there that I hadn't remembered. By the time I finished inspecting, I was feeling really good about this place as an investment.

I sat down on the couch and chatted with the Realtor about why he was moving. He confessed that although he loved the place, his wife never had and with five kids and now a grandchild (belonging to one of his high school aged daughters) to look after, they had outgrown the house. I mentioned a couple clauses that I wanted in our contract, the chief one to make sure that the house appraised for more than our price to insure that I wasn't screwed in the investment right from the get go and the Realtor agreed to them all. We shook hands and promised to sign a contract the following day. We did and now I am on the hook for another place.

For me that was the hard part, spending a large chunk of money, larger than any other chunk of money I have ever spent. Now all we have to do is close towards the latter part of July and move. Add that to my wife graduating, starting a new job, a couple more big changes in our life to be written about in the future and it is going to be a busy second half to this year. But I am looking forward to it all, especially the moving to a new-to-me house. I enjoy carving out a home and getting everything up to snuff and I will have a lot of that ahead. If nothing else, it will provide a lot more fodder for this blog to keep it running for another year or perhaps longer.

To the future!


14 comments:

Vince said...

Oooooh that's a pretty house, and in a nicely wooded site as well. What we would call a bungalow over basement.

R. Sherman said...

Looks good. Great yard, BTW.

Cheers.

kymber said...

it's beautiful! you are going to love it there! and yes - what a nice yard. and please more posts about the house - i want to see the inside too! this is fantastic news for all of you and i am very happy for you!

your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Vince - It does have a nice large lot with plenty of trees, something I have always wanted but plenty of open spacing for an orchard, something else I have also wanted.

R. Sherman - It is about 1.87 acres of yard which means I'm going to have to invest in something a little larger than my 18" push mower.

Kymber - Thank you. I will include more pictures and posts about it especially after we get our other place sold and I have the capital to do such projects.

warren said...

Looks like a fine house!

malor said...

That's a nice house. Congratulations.. Lots of land for LA to run around..

Vince said...

Was it doubled in size a while back ?. Is that why there are gables peeping out ?. And is the set back much at the door. It's hard to tell for a photo. Actually, I'd never have seen it had I not being wondering why on earth change the direction of the lapboards. I'm still a bit mystified about that one.
Where's south btw.

Woody said...

Looks good! It's nice to have some yard to work with too. Riding mower and a tiller seem to be in your future. Congrats!

geri said...

Congratulations! What a great backyard for Little Abbey to bike around with. it certainly is an unusual story of how you came upon this house. What an exciting year for you and your family =)

Ed said...

Warren - Thanks.

Malor - One reason why we liked the location. The other is that we got a lot more garden space.

Vince - No it is all original. Those gable ends are just for decoration and coming off by the time I am done fixing up the place. They look like leaks waiting to happen. The door is set back four feet from the front of the house. The vertical 'boards' are actually posts that I suppose they used to provide relief lines. They don't even touch the ground so they aren't functional and they are all about half way rotten anyway. That is why someday soon, I will have to either replace them or more than likely, redo all the siding after we build the bigger garage/workshop that we have planned.

Geri - Thanks. I think LA will love it but right now she is still sad every now and then about leaving friends and going to a new school. I'm tempering that by promising that I will get her pool set up once we move and since it will be on cement rather than a deck, I can fill it up all the way.

Gidget said...

Congrats! It's a been quite the journey for the Abbeys so I'm glad to see everything should settle down soon. :)

Ed said...

Gidget - Stayed tuned but it will be far from settled down until most likely next spring. I'm going to have plenty of blogging fodder in the coming months.

Ed said...

Woody - Yep. I'm already researching the lawn mower thing. The tiller will have to wait until spring.

Bone said...

Cute house. Oh the things I could do with that basement!