Monday, April 23, 2012

Cleaning Out My Camera

Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the photo taken with my cellphone which was before I realized that the cause of the poor photos was from a gunked up lens due to carrying it in my pocket all the time. It takes much better pictures now that it is clean.

With that said, the following pictures were from a trip to a little hole-in-the-wall place named Fat Tuesdays (no relation to the bar chain by the same name) one Lenten Friday in the Urban Jungle. We got there in the nick of time because the place was a hopping with customers and shortly afterwards, people were waiting periods of time to get seated. The food was excellent, albeit a bit spicy even for my taste, but certainly a place I would like to visit again, especially on a non-Lenten time when I don't abstain from meat on Fridays.


This first dish was my side dish that came with my meal and was cajun coleslaw. This stuff was so spicy it literally kicked my ass. It was by far the spicest thing I ate the entire evening.


This picture and the one below was of an alligator hush puppy. At the time, I had never had alligator in hush puppy form and since it was the recommended appetizer, we order it. As you can see, an order is just one hush puppy but boy was it good. However, now that I am writing about this weeks after Easter an the Lenten season is over, I wonder if it even qualified as a food I could consume. On Fridays and other Holy days of Lent, we abstain from meat but seafood is acceptable. Alligator certainly isn't a red meat like beef, pork or chicken but it probably doesn't qualify as seafood either.




For my entree, I had a seafood gumbo which was absolutely delicious. Spicy but delicious. By the end of this and the coleslaw, my sinus cavities were completely clear of everything.


This was my wife's entree of fish, shrimp and rice. It was excellent and not spicy which is the way she likes her food.


Finally for desert, I had my first exposure to sweet potato pie and as you can see, my camera was about two bites too late to the party. My wife and I shared this since we were full from our meals but both felt we must at least try this regional food while we were here. It was good but killing hot from them having nuked it in a microwave before serving. I'm guessing had it been served cold, it would have been excellent.

4 comments:

R. Sherman said...

If gator isn't "kosher" for Lent, is shrimp?

It doesn't matter though, it all looks very good, especially the fish/shrimp/rice combo.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - All seafood, including shrimp, is kosher for Lent. Since there are salt water and fresh water alligators, I'm not sure if it qualifies as "sea" food. At the end of the day, remembering what Lent is all about is the important part of the 40 days and I definitely did my share of that.

Bone said...

I've had sweet potato casserole, but not sure I've ever had sweet potato pie, which is probably some sort of sin living in the South.

You've given me a craving for our local cajun place. I say local. It's probably 45 minutes away.

sage said...

Time to go eat lunch! That looks good and reminded me of a Haitian place I discovered Saturday night that I just blogged about.