Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Winter That Wasn't and Still Isn't

Awhile ago I wrote a blog post about The Winter That Wasn't and I am just writing to say that it still isn't. Meteorological spring is upon us and the Calender version isn't too far away and we've had only about seven measly inches of snow and that perhaps only covered the ground for no more than a couple weeks. The reason are the high temperatures that came along with the lack of snow. We have not had a single day below zero degrees, a first for us since the advent of written records. The days with highs below freezing can still be counted on my fingers without breaking into the toes.

Tornadoes, those things that we here on the fringes of tornado alley worry about usually in late April, May and June, are rocking and rolling throughout the country side wiping out towns from the face of the map. Every news report I see of towns utterly devastated makes me want to build my tornado/hurricane/fire proof monolithic dome house all that much sooner.

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Investing in a weather radio and a storm shelter area in the basement is a very wise move.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I don't have a weather radio but I do have a portion of my house below ground and a safe(r) spot to hunker out a tornado. Still I would just as soon never have the pleasure...

geri said...

Ed, I am concerned about these tornadoes too. Whenever it gets dark, in the 50s and windy I get nervous.

Vince said...

I'd have thought after the dousing you got a few year ago with the God given wet stuff you'd have been wary about any comment about anything rain related ever. You'd never know He might be in a playful mood when He reads your memo.

Ron said...

Of course, once prepared for tornado, hurricane, and fire... an earthquake will come along and put cracks in the dome. :)

The weather has been nice temp-wise, but I sure hope we get some moisture soon.

Ed said...

Geri - I try not to worry but I do have a storm radio and I pay attention when it goes off.

Vince - I forgot about that but I did so I'm not surprised with the way things ended up. I should keep my mouth shut!

Ron - They do say that monolithic domes are earthquake resistant due to them being monolithic and that they would simply float as one piece. Because the concrete is not the moisture or insulation barrier, it can crack (assuming well reinforced) and still be perfectly functional as when it was newly built. But who wants to live in a house tilted at a five degree angle?

Bone said...

I think the last time I checked our NWS page (weather nerd here), we were having our 5th warmest winter on record. And warmest in over 50 years.

And this was after last winter was our second snowiest ever. Strange.