Friday, February 3, 2012

The Winter that Wasn't

February 2, 2011
A year ago and one day, that was the scene that greeted me as I prepared to unbury my driveway so I could head to work. Had I not had a snow blower, I would probably still have been out there shoveling. This wasn't a one time occurrence but a continual pounding of snowstorms spaced a few days apart.  I thanked my lucky stars that I finally broke down and bought a snow blower that previous fall because it really got the workout.

Flash forward to this year. Here it is February 3rd and we have had about an inch of snow total spaced over three different 'storms'. None of them were worth clearing the driveway but I did it just to keep the snow blower engine lubricated and ready to run when we really did get snow. Also, had I not cleared it, the snow would have frozen the driveway into an ice rink for the rest of the winter. At least in a normal year that is.

This year, I'm not sure we have had a day yet where the high wasn't above freezing. This is saying a lot since our normal highs are below freezing for the entire month of January and most of February. Instead, we have had the last two weeks with temperatures in the mid to upper 50's! I was actually doing yard work in a short sleeved t-shirt just a couple days ago!

Yesterday, the groundhog saw it's shadow and thus we have six more weeks of winter. I'm still waiting for winter to start.



7 comments:

sage said...

Same here--a little more snow, but no need for a heavy duty blower like that!

Vince said...

Yeah same here. But this one has been far darker.

warren said...

Isn't it great?! No winter!

malor said...

Winter came today...

R. Sherman said...

I, for one, don't miss the snow in the slightest. I can live without the snow removal duties as well as the idiots driving on the highways. I'll be glad when winter's past and there's no hope for a blizzard.

Cheers.

Ed said...

Malor - I was up there for the storm this weekend so got to partake in it but fortunately, when I got home in SE Iowa last night, the only snow to be seen was a little spot in the shade of my deck and it was just a dusting.

Bone said...

We skipped winter here this year, too.

Ninth warmest January on record here I heard the other day. We did get a ton of rain.