Friday, February 17, 2012

Pin Art


Now that winter is here, in name only, the urban jungle zoo is mostly closed down for the season. You can still go but there is little to see outside with the animals moved inside where it is warm and inaccessible to zoo visitors. What animals that are out and about like the penquins, are few and thus it makes it not worth the effort to visit the zoo. As a result, when my wife is on call on a weekend up in the urban jungle, my daughter and I often find ourselves at the Science Center killing time until we can sneak in after hours when my wife isn't busy for a couple hours of family time.

One of the places that we spend a lot of time in is more of a play area than science oriented museum that the rest of the place is. There are vats of soapy water and huge wands that kids can make bubbles with, a few creative thinking things for the children and the above, a large board full of sliding pins that by pressing in on one side, leaves the impression on the other side to view. Mostly the young kids just stand on either side pressing in pins as fast as they can until they grow bored of it and move on. My daughter being no exception. However one morning when we were the only people in the Science Center and had the room to ourselves, I showed her how she can make body impressions. She quickly got the inspiration and loves to make a 'human spider' which is what you see at the top of this post. I have a dozen similar pictures on my computer.

Most of the time, when we are the first to arrive, which oddly in a city this size is quite often, the board is smoothed out by I suspect the person in charge of closing up the room for the evening after the mess has been cleaned and everything put back in its place. As we arrived a couple weeks ago, the first ones again, we found the below artwork. My daughter was duely impressed for all of about five seconds before she started pounding all the pins to one side as fast as she could.

6 comments:

Vince said...

Sorry, anytime I see those things I think of Pompeii and the remains of the bodies when they filled the cavities with plaster of paris. I shiver when I see them.

Ed said...

Vince - I have never been there but it has always been on my list of things to see when over that way.

sage said...

Neat photos and sounds like great fun for Little Abbey.

malor said...

These are works of art. Is it you and your wife in the 2nd picture? I decided to get membership for the Science Center this year. Maybe. we'll cross path sometime...

Ed said...

Malor - No it isn't. I'm guessing it was either a couple who were there right before closing or a couple of staff members. We usually get there right at opening on Saturday morning and the normal is that the pin board has been 'erased'. Because we only go while my wife is on-call, it is usually just L.A. and myself.

Benji will really love the place, especially the room where the pin art thing is and the one upstairs where he can play in the water, race lego cars, etc. Between those two rooms, we spend 80% of our time. If I see you some weekend, I'll definitely introduce myself.

geri said...

This reminds me of the children's museum we used to go to. That's really pretty neat!