Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How do you know when you are getting older?


Cleaning out my cellphone camera folder for blog posting fodder, I found this picture which I had snapped on my commute home at the first of only two stoplights between where I work and home at completely opposite sides of town. It always gets me seeing young men driving these trucks all decked out in stickers, shiny balls hanging from the rear bumper to apparently compensate for smaller ones elsewhere, and chromed alloy wheel that were not visible here but which I saw when he turned left without using his blinker. What I see is a truck owned by the bank that probably has yet to hold a load in the bed which couldn't be hauled in a much smaller, less costly version of this truck. No wonder so many people are suffering in this economic down turn. They have the intelligence of somewhere between a rock and a fern and yes I am judging him by his truck and where he decided to display his balls.

9 comments:

Vince said...

And it's WHITE. Talk about as useless as a glass hammer. A work virgin.
Mind you, I'd probably buy the thing 2nd hand. I'd know that the guts weren't pulled out of it taking extra bags of sand/cement over&above it's plimsoll line. Then I'd get the sp-gun and the masking tape and paint it the cheapest colour at the car accessories shop and drive it for the next ten years.

Ed said...

Vince - Good point. Even if I got the steal of the century, I don't think I would buy a truck like this simply because I don't have a need for it and the cost of upkeep, namely fuel, registration and insurance wouldn't be worth it. I would get a small pickup like a Ranger that I could haul 99% of whatever I desired in it and the 1% I could have delivered with my fuel savings.

R. Sherman said...

I miss my 4WD, though. It's the best thing for getting around in winter, especially where I have to drive. I didn't have fake testicles on the tow hitch, however.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - My wife's CRV has AWD in it and it is a blast to drive in crappy conditions. Since that is becoming common on passengers cars, I'm thinking that any future vehicle of mine will have AWD.

sage said...

LOL at your comment about balls... That's a big truck--I can't think of why anyone would have a duel wheels on the back unless they were pulling heavy loads.

kymber said...

we have a second-hand ford f-150...it came with dints, dents and bangs. but it is a must for living in the middle of nowhere with dirt roads.

i am happy to say that we have not seen a white truck on this island to date!

loved the part about the shiny balls compensating for other things - bahahahah!

your friend,
kymber

warren said...

...to apparently compensate for smaller ones elsewhere

That's the only conclusion I can find as to why anyone would want to dangle said parts out in the open. Silly people. Maybe I am getting older too...

edifice rex said...

"compensate for smaller ones elsewhere"- hell! you mean compensate for none at all!! I have been fortunate enough to have only witnessed such stupidity on a jobsite once. And if that guy had known how much the other guys laughed and ridiculed him he might have removed them. Then he could have hung 'em somewhere private that might have actually made him feel...well, more manly. :)

Bone said...

I think you should do a weekly truck balls post. I can prob email in some photos from around here if you run out of material.