Friday, November 4, 2011

Singing On Steroids


I don't talk about television shows very much because frankly none of them are very good, at least since Seinfeld went off the air. Mostly I watch the evening news and some shows on PBS but that is about it. However, two years I happened to come across the Sing Off already half way through the first season and was blown away.

If you aren't familiar with the Sing Off on NBC, it is a cappella competition where groups compete with no background music. Yeah that sounds real boring which I suppose is why I never caught an episode until halfway through the first year but when I did, I knew I wasn't in Kansas any more. These groups lay down music that bar none, I enjoy much better than the original recorded tracks.

During the second season, a group by the name of Street Corner Symphony took the competition to a whole new level and really set the hook. They ended up placing second to another equally talented group who just didn't sing songs that were as familiar to me but resonated with the public. I thought at the time that no other group of groups could top the second season, that is until the third season arrived.

This season, already half way over, for lack of better words is OFF THE HOOK! Earlier this week while watching the two hour episode via DVR so I can watch it in just over an hour, I actually teared up more than once because the songs they were singing were so awesome. The round this week was all about Superstar Medleys and the groups all delivered. I am very thankful that I am not a judge on that show trying to determine which group to kick off.

By far, my favorite group of this season is Pentatonix which with five people, kicks out the most complex songs I have ever heard. If that weren't enough, their sound is at least ten years into the future of a cappella if everyone got on board with it today. This week they sang a medley of Brittany Spears songs which was mostly lost on me but it certainly was still a pleasure to listen to even if I have never heard the original songs. Another outstanding group which actually moved me to tears last night are the Dartmouth Aires which did a Queen medley that would have made Freddie proud. Their rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody was spot on. Another group the YellowJackets with their large size and evidently years of entertaining experience always blow the roof off the joint when they sing and this week was no exception with their Billy Joel medley. They took something very familiar to me and made it their own in a way so unique, I would rather have their version of the album if they ever made one.

I could go on and on but I won't. But I do ask that perhaps next Monday night if you haven't already done so, tune into the Sing Off and listen to a group or two. I promise  you that you have never heard an a capella group like any of these groups.

11 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I've not seen this show, but I'll check it out. Like you, I'm not one for much TV, sticking with Amazing Race and Survivor. Most of the stuff on today, is just crap, pure and simple. So, thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers.

kymber said...

we don't have tv. and haven't since December 2010. so i will have to rely on your reviews. so keep them up.

your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Kymber - I grew up without a television for almost twenty years so I understand.

geri said...

The past couple of years I only followed 2 shows: Modern Family and Sing-Off. However I haven't began watching Sing-Off this season. After reading this post, I guess I have to start reviewing the shows I missed and start following it again.

Murf said...

I love Nick Lachey as much as the next straight girl and gay guy but I couldn't get into this. It's too much like Glee and while I liked that show in the beginning, it really irritates me now.

Sidenote - The X-Factor is so much better than American Idol.

Ed said...

Murf - American Idol wasn't bad when it got down to the final contestants but I hated that they drug it out so long with an entire show just for elimination. I love that the Sing Off is just singing with five minutes for elimination.

Jeff said...

Don't know the show and sometimes I wonder why I even have a TV (and why we have 3 of them).

roaringforties said...

Personally I think they shook whatever talent out of the English speaking world about six years ago.

Ed said...

If anyone saw last night's performance, all I can say is WOW! Pentatonix's version of Born to Be Wild was out of this world.

Bone said...

I've never seen it, but might have to check it out, at least once. I do love some Billy Joel.

geri said...

Ed, I just saw last week's show, while the group who sang Queen blew me away I have to say my favorite is Pentatonix - I just love that blonde guy's voice when he sang Toxic. Will watch this week's show online. But I am predicting the Queen group will win this season.