Monday, October 24, 2011

The Ackerson Family Revisited

The Joseph and Lucy Card Ackerson Family
Back Row: Ira, Edith, William
Front Row: Julia, Lizzie, Joseph, Lucy, James, Emma
Last year, I wrote a blog post on my 2nd great grandfather Ira Ackerson whom I laid out evidence that he was the World's Most Unluckiest Man. In that post, I had the only picture of Ira, father Joseph and mother Lucy that I have found which is the same as the one above but not in nearly as good of shape pixel and physical wise. After getting in touch with a distant cousin from the same line, she was able to make copies of the original and also sent me some other pictures of the family which I am posting here for future reference and perhaps future descendants of this family to find in the course of their genealogical research.

Ira Ackerson standing in front of the ponies
Although this picture carried only the label above, I suspect that the man with the bag ready to get in the carriage was Ira's father Joseph Ackerson who was a veterinarian. Somewhere among my stuff, I have a story of Joseph and his pet parrot that could talk. Joseph came home one afternoon to find the doors open and the bird cage empty. Everyone aided in the search of the farm but couldn't find the bird anywhere. The next morning as Joseph was enjoying the sun rise, a voice started calling out to him from a nearby tree. A very cold and thankful parrot was returned to his cage.

Joseph and Lucy Card Ackerson
Joseph and Lucy are my 3rd great grandparents. Joseph came from Ohio with his parents and crossed into Iowa around 1855 and settled in Butler county in northeast Iowa. Shortly afterwards, the Card family immigrated to Iowa from New York via a stay in Wisconsin and settled in the same area. Joseph Ackerson and Lucy May Card were married in Butler county in 1872 and would live out there lives there. Joseph died in 1928 and was buried in Oak Hill cemetery in New Hartford, Iowa and his wife joined him in 1944. Several years ago I was preparing a visit to the cemetery to visit their grave when an EF-5 tornado his the month before and was documented (along with the Card family name) in this video. An ongoing project to restore the cemetery is in progress and someday soon in the future, I hope to complete my trip.

Joseph Ackerson
Eventually Joseph traded in his horses and wagon and bought a 'horseless carriage' to carry him around the county at he made calls for his vet practice.

Frank Ackerson, Orinda Coulter and Willard Card 16 Oct 1913
This final picture most likely contains some cousins though I have yet to prove it. I have found a grandson of my 4th great grandfather Willard Card who was also named Willard and married a woman nine years his senior named Orinda. They were 39 and 48 in 1913 if the date on the back of the photo is to be believed. I could buy that. The only Frank Ackerson I have thus far in my family tree could be the grandson of Joseph Ackerson mentioned above though he wasn't born until 1914 according to the census records. I have another one born in 1870. But I also have lots of branches of Ackersons that I haven't put a lot of time researching yet. The curious bit is that I have a census record in 1920 of Willard and Orinda Card that lists an Edward Ackerson as their son with the Ackerson part crossed out. Perhaps they 'adopted' an Ackerson at some point and this Frank belongs to them. It is a mystery that will remain for another day.

5 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I've said it before, but it's good that you're preserving these stories for your daughter. She'll appreciate them someday.

Cheers.

Jeff said...

These photos are great! Good work, I wish I had such good photos from my ancestors, I have a few but nothing like this.

roaringforties said...

One thing is for certain some dentist made a fair bit of cash out of that family. Note the lower jaw line, this happens when too many molars have been removed. The only one that seems to have excaped is the little girl on the left.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I hope so but if not, perhaps her children or on down the line if the internet is still around. If not, then perhaps a hard copy will survive.

Jeff - When I started my genealogy quest, I had not one picture of anyone who wasn't living. I've come a long way mostly be making connections with those who do have some pictures and have gone out of their way to make copies for me. Also, by becoming the resident family genealogist, my grandparents, parents and other relatives have been digging in those attics for pictures to give me. It's like a snowball rolling downhill now and I'm not complaining.

Vince - I've never heard anyone say that before. Perhaps you are right or perhaps it is genetics but I doubt I will ever know otherwise. But knowing dentistry in the late 1800's and early 1900's, I'm not going to bet against you.

Megan said...

Those are such great photo finds - I love making discoveries that other family members have unknown treasures!