Monday, September 26, 2011

Global Warming

National Snow & Ice Data Center

I've been called a liberal and I've been called a right-winger over the years. I always pegged it to being to far towards the center and thus left or right of the extremists giving me those labels. Regardless of the labels, I have always believed global warming as a fact. I just don't see how you can't believe it with the reams of data available including the graph at the top that I just found thanks to an article on CNN reporting that the arctic ice is at the second lowest level ever and when the final data is taken next month, could perhaps even be the lowest level. If you average it out, we lose and have lost 9.3% of ice ever decade since satellite records have been taken.

Now I haven't pegged global warming on man yet but if I had to bet, I would say that we are perhaps in a natural global warming cycle as has occurred throughout the eons and man is exacerbating the problem as we tend to do. In fact man may even be helping to prevent us from frying by slowing down global warming. Regardless of the fault, global warming is happening and we are going to be forced to deal with it. If it were me, I wouldn't be buying ocean front property as an investment to pass onto my kids. If I were looking for investment property to pass on to my descendants, I would start looking around 69 meters above see level.

9 comments:

Vince said...

I'm inclined to the notion that man is nudging things rather than actually causing things myself. My method recently has been to lessen, I think that if enough do so it will matter somewhat. We've seen exactly how smog vanished and made the industrial cities relatively pleasant places. Depending of course that you still have employment in such places.

Ed said...

Vince - Fortunately I live in a rural part of the country with perhaps 1500 miles of rural county between me and the next pollution source upwind.

Ed said...

Vince - though isolated, we still saw how small this world really is not to long ago with an uptick in natural radiation levels due to being a long ways downwind of Japan.

R. Sherman said...

If there is warming, (and there are plenty of new studies out disputing that conclusion and demonstrating that the pro-warming faction has fabricated data), then it's still hubris to think that we could radically change the planet's climate. Probably the best essay I read on the topic was by a scientist who specializes in systems and talked about complexity and attempting to change the system through tinkering. Bottom line, it cannot be done, no matter what the system is.

Cheers.

R. Sherman said...

Just saw this.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - the fabricated data set aside, there are mountains more of it that show that global warming exists but like you said, I am not sure we can do much to change it.

As to the link, it seems as if most of those links it contained were dead and all articles that references the decline in sea levels reference the blog of a Steven Goddard which is a pseudonym and nobody seems to know who he really is. The actual Envisat website whom he tried to link via a dead link, still shows quite the opposite.

Murf said...

I agree - I think it's the natural cycle of the earth with a little help from man. I always do chuckle though when they show record high temps that were set in the early 1900's and what they chalked that up to then. Although maybe in 1938 there were bigger worries than the weather.

sage said...

I was just in Greenland a few weeks ago and the geologist on the ship for the cruise (who is from Iceland and studies Greenland) was pointing out how fast the glacial melt is going just over the past few years--I agree with you, everything I seen shows the earth warming, but the earth has warmed before, too.

warren said...

This is one of those things...I def think global warming is real and I don't care (well, really I do but....) if man creates it or not. I figure we might s well act as if we are and we'll (hopefully) benefit from cleaner air, less polluted water, less stuff in landfills, etc than if we keep on consuming and acting as if our behavior doesn't matter. I have never understood why folks are so afraid of embracing green tech (and all that is related). Going green can create jobs that will be downsized if we phase out fossil fuel use, etc. It seems like a silly notion to me to not try to do better regardless of whether we caused it or have a chance at fixing it. I only see win in the situation.