Friday, August 5, 2011

HOT and DRY

Well the results are in and they are impressive. We have not had a hotter July in our state since 1955. If you count all the months in a year, we haven't had a month this hot since August of 1983! It has been a hot one for the records books. This in itself would be amazing but I would guess that we also set another record in my area locally. The moisture level in our state varied greatly. One place just a few hours north of here received 16" of rain for the month of July, much of that coming in one shot there towards the end of the month. Places less than 20 miles away in any direction received over a inch during the month. Here in my town we officially (at the airport a couple miles north of town) received .17" of rain for the month of July but at my house, the driveway was only pockmarked with a few drops of rain twice and not enough to even stir up the dust at the bottom of my rain gauge. My grass, weeds and all are deader than a hammer. Even the trees in the neighborhood appear to be struggling to survive. In a twist of irony, I have been going through more windshield wiper fluid than I normally do because all the dust that is getting kicked up creates a thick layer on the windshield rather quickly. My body becomes so parched at times that when I jump into my daughters swimming pool, the water level goes down rather than up. I can drink a couple gallons of water a day and only deposit a cup or two of fluids back into the system. It is so dry, I am thinking about paying the dog walkers to walk on my side of the street. The local store now only sells evaporated milk. I can only eat watermelon between 8 pm and 8 am because otherwise it dries out before I get a slice cut. Finally and this is the honest truth, it has been so hot that the other day the temperature outside was 92 degrees with a heat index of 106 and it felt actually pleasant.

9 comments:

Vince said...

Soooooooooo, having spent all that money on a submarine last year. :)

Ron said...

We finally broke our ridiculous streak of hot and dry here the last couple of days... some much-needed rain yesterday and today. Even so, I think my raspberries might be toast... probably gonna have to replant those.

Forecast says 99 on Saturday... it isn't over yet.

Ed said...

Vince - Ain't that the truth!

Ron - Global warming is turning out to be such an understatement this year.

malor said...

I just caannot keep up with your blog at times. You wrote so much already. Anyway, I agree with you. It's been hot and dry. Thankfully, we have rain today and yesterday.

Frank D. Myers said...

The rain keeps falling over here. I have no idea why. Very strange year.

R. Sherman said...

Been away for a bit. I trust all is well. We're finally getting lengthy break from 100+ temps for a few days.

Cheers.

Bone said...

Weird year here, too. It has seemed a little hotter than normal, but then I heard a weatherman say the other day it hadn't been quite as hot as last year, which I can't even remember now. The heat doesn't bother me as long as the AC keeps on working.

Murf said...

How are your parents crops doing?

Ed said...

Malor - Writing on my blog has always been about getting thoughts down on paper where things always seem more black and white.

Frank Myers - I'm challenged to remember the last normal year we've had.

R. Sherman - We've been 'cool' too. Ain't it grande?

Bone - This is my time of hanging out in the A/C until temperatures become more reasonable.

Murf - They have been getting more rain than I have though they too are parched. I expect that they are looking at a 25 to 33% crop loss for the year.