Friday, July 15, 2011

Seafood Boil


Back when I moved to this town, there were two grocery stores. One that almost nobody went too and the larger one that everyone went too because the prices were cheaper. For me, I'll gladly pay the extra $0.10 per pound of produce if it means I can shop in peace. But I was in the minority and eventually the small grocery store closed up. The big store continued but announced plans that they were going to build a bigger store on the site of the smaller store and it was going to carry twice as much food and have twice as many employees. What they didn't mention and what I predicted that prices would go through the roof and now everyone is wishing that old store were still around. Now they are all pinning their hopes on a Super Walmart slated to start being built any day for the last year, to bring the prices down at the large, now much larger grocery store. I'm not holding my breath.

One positive thing that I can say is that the large grocery store increased their selection of fresh and frozen seafoods and after awhile of dreaming about a 'crab boil', we decided to sample them out. First we bought some crab legs, something we rarely do because of their price and added them to our normal 'crab boil' foods of corn, smoked sausages, and shrimp. I put crab boil in quotes because the spices we use say they are for a crab boil though we don't have access to whole crabs up here. Crab legs are close but still not the same. But the crab boil spices work great on whatever seafood added and even the smoked sausage.

They also have fresh clams which I have never dealt with outside of a restaurant setting. We bought a dozen of them and the guy behind the meat counter showed us how to shuck one and even offered it to me to eat raw. Now had I been close to the sea and they were hours old, I would have but I politely declined and he slurped it down. I regretted not having taken him up on it despite my cautiousness. We got them home and I soon found out that I didn't have a knife with a thin enough blade to shuck the oysters so I rummaged around in my shop and found a small, stiff, putty knife that might do the trick. I cleaned it up real well and set to work, this time with success. Soon, I had all twelve oysters shucked and consolidated into one of their two shells which my wife spiced and added some fixings too. She baked them a few minutes and man those suckers were good.

This all happened a couple months ago and I had forgotten all about it until I downloaded pictures from my camera recently. I'm hoping I don't have to wait another two months to do this again because I'm starting to drool.

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Gee, thanks for this. Now I'm pining for the ocean again.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I love the oceans just for the fresh seafood to be found nearby. But if fresh seafood could be found everywhere, I probably could spend my whole life without visiting a shore. I would seclude myself in the mountains out west and eat fresh seafood for almost every meal.

geri said...

First time I've seen seafood boil. Seafood were always cooked grilled or fried in the Philippines by itself. Love the sausage and corn addition in the seafood boil. I will give this a try. Looks delicious!

Ed said...

Geri - It is really easy to do. Put a large pot of water on leaving room for lots of food to be added without overflowing. I throw a bag of crab boil seasoning in and wait for it to boil. I also add some extra cajun seasoning such as Old Bay to the water to spice it up but you can do that according to taste. Once the water is boiling, throw in any potatoes, onions, and sausages that take longer to boil. When anything like potatoes are just about fork tender, I throw in the corn. After a couple minutes I throw in the crab legs. In another two minutes I turn off the heat and throw in a bag of frozen shrimp and let the residual heat cook them. As soon as they are done I strain the food and pick out the crab boil bag and serve. I have a large stainless steel pot with a basket in it that is meant for just this and it works well. I put the crab boil bag in the pot before putting in the strainer so when it is ready, I just lift up the strainer wait a few seconds and dump in a large bowl for serving. It is very hands intensive eating which every Filipino we fix this for enjoys!

malor said...

Looks good and thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try it.

I miss fresh crabs. They are my favorite seafood. In the Philippines, I don't really care for legs but here they are precious. Crabs in oriental store are just too emanciated, not much meat at all.

The part that you decline eating the clam or oyster raw is funny...

Murf said...

So, is it true that oysters are an aphrodisiac? :-)

Bone said...

One of our grocery stores recently started featuring "fresh" seafood. But it's typically all from Thailand. So we've started shopping at a small, local seafood market. It's slightly more expensive, but their seafood is from the Gulf, and there's a big difference in taste to me. I just worry whether or not they'll be able to stay in business.