Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why It Is Nice to Have a Wife Home Again


My wife was home for a week of 'vacation' from her job as an internal medicine 2nd (almost 3rd) year resident. My busy life at work didn't allow me to take the whole week off and some plans for a relative to visit during the week were made so we didn't have time to go anywhere for an official vacation so we made do. My wife held a baking party for our daughter and a few of her friends as a delayed birthday party while I got in two full days of work, two half days and took a full day off to spend some quality time working on my bathroom remodeling project that I began over nine months ago. Thank god for a second bathroom or it would have been a rough nine months!

The half days at work allowed me to get some work done to stay on top of things and allowed my wife to get some alone bonding time with our daughter. Their favorite bonding activity is cooking which is extremely fortunate for me. When it is just myself and my daughter during the week, we scavenge more than cook. It just isn't practical to cook a lot when it is mostly me eating it and my daughter picking at it. So we tend to eat lots of simple foods with raw fruits and veggies on the side. So when my wife and daughter bond over cooking, I get to feast on the foods in the two pictures in this post. The top one is a traditional Filipino dish which I call bone marrow soup. I think for most people, the thought of eating it is probably not the best but like sushi, once you've tried it you can't stop eating it. The bottom photo is one I'm sure everyone would try and enjoy. It is of a custard tart with homemade white chocolate ice cream and strawberries. My wife asked for and received an ice cream maker for Christmas this past year and this was her second try at making ice cream. Both times, the end result was mind blowingly good and now I will never be able to eat that fake stuff that they call ice cream in a grocery store. Seriously, it is like the difference between a filet mignon and a hotdog when given a choice.

7 comments:

Eutychus2 said...

I've never had bone marrow, but I hear a lot about it on the food channel and its health benefits .... so one day, when I get the chance I'll give it a try!! Like you, I'd be in the background cheering the 'girls' on.

The ice cream sounds deliciously too. I know the homemade ice cream dad used to make was second to none, especially to those in the store.

Vince said...

I remember eating the marrow as a kid. But since the 80's or so, due to mad-cow there are no materials allowed into the food chain that might contain the BSE prions.

Murf said...

The bottom photo looks great. Hooch preferred the top photo since it has been awhile since he had any bone marrow. :-)

Ed said...

Eutychus - It is the most tender morsel of beef you will ever eat.

Vince - It is not too common anymore around here due to the Mad-Cow scare. I haven't heard of it being an issue here in well over a decade.

Murf - Both were good. Obviously Hooch has good taste!

geri said...

Not a fan of sinigang but love pochero (with plenty of rice and black pepper!). The one on the photo looks really good. Can't cook that here too because it's not my husband's cup of tea but since Evan loves soup - this gets me thinking...

Haven't tried home-made ice cream... now I am intrigued...

Ed said...

Geri - Making ice cream is apparently very easy. She got a maker that doesn't have a compressor so it is fairly quiet. You just put the aluminum bowl in a freezer a day before you want to make it, add the ingredients the next day and turn it on. Thirty minutes later you have this stuff that tastes absolutely unlike any store bought ice cream I have ever had in a very very good way!

sage said...

Looks like you're eating well with the Misses at home! Enjoy your time together, this residency thing will be over before you know it.