Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Exploring My Family Tree: Not Forgotten - The Lover

I thought I would end this series of posts on my great grandfather Victor Kuck by posting the most common photo subject I found when scanning through a large stack of photos, himself and his wife Grace with love written all over their faces. I arranged a smattering of them roughly in chronological order and ended with one taken for their 53rd wedding anniversary in 1972, the newest photo I have of them together. They would go on to celebrate 13 more until Victor died in 1985 and Grace four years later in 1989. Since I married late in life, I doubt I live to celebrate my 66th wedding anniversary when I am three months shy of my 96th birthday but if I do, I hope I'm as happy as my great grandparents were.












6 comments:

R. Sherman said...

It's inspiring to see photos of couples who married young and then grew old together, through thick and thin. You see the wisdom and affection which develops over many years together.

The rest of us can only hope for such relationships.

Cheers.

PhilippinesPhil said...

I've been married three times now, and counting, and have great memories from all three (and not so great). Sometimes its gotten "messy," but so be it. My parents and their parents all stayed married to the same people for "the duration." Sometimes though, some of those old time marriages probably should have been declared null and void, but they used to just gut it out no matter how miserable one or both parties became. I say life is too short to stay stuck with someone you no longer want to be with just out of GP (general principle). Looks like Victor & Grace were made for each other though... As for the rest of us, it's a different world now for sure, and thank goodness...

Eutychus2 said...

Ed................ absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed them all - they bring back many personal memories.

sage said...

Great photos--I doubt I'll see 66 years either (I'll be 101, and don't know if she can keep up with me).

geri said...

Ed, I enjoyed looking at the photos. My favorite is Victor and Grace, the 6th photo and 2nd. It's amazing how your great grandfather survived that car crash. It was on the news a few months ago that we have fewer vehicular crashes compared to earlier years because of how cars are built and the safety features.

Ron said...

Wow, great photos, man. It makes me want to take some of Mel and I. Hardship and life experienced together can certainly make one appreciate their partner.