Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Miscellaneous Pictures From My Harbor Tour



I'm not sure of the whole story on the preceding two pictures. The harbor tour captain said these were bait barges where fishermen stopped to purchase bait from the shack in the middle of the two barges every morning. I suspect that the rest of the story is that they must dump their old bait onto the barges for the sea lions.



The Coronado bridge pictured above was pretty impressive. I had initially thought that it was curved to match up with a major thoroughfare on the island (technically it is an isthmus) but I found out the reason was that they needed to increase the length to gain height for ships to pass over without making it horribly steep. Since all the military ships were docked to the left of this picture and the way out to the ocean was to the right, this makes sense.


The waterfront structure with the tee-pee like sail peaks in the center was the San Diego Convention Center where my wife spent most of her time while I was off galavanting around.



The above two photos are just miscellaneous shots of the buildings along the bay front and the huge boats. As someone who would like to build boats as a business someday, boats always fascinate me. If I were ever to come into a huge chunk of money and would somehow get beyond my normal practical and fiscally conservative self, I would love to buy a big boat and just live in an ever different harbor as the days passed me by. However, after watching many seasons of the Deadliest Catch, I'm not sure I would venture out beyond the harbors very far.


The spouses of the doctors who were attending the conference all met in the south tower of the Hyatt Hotel pictured in this photo. It was a very opulent hotel and I'm sure I would never fork over the dough to stay in such a place which is why we stayed in a plain Days Inn a little ways further down the road. The spousal meeting was to inform us of all the tours the conference was organizing for us and the times they were leaving. I opted out of them since there was no price break and the last thing I want to do is to be herded around from point to point on someone else's schedule. I got my fill of that flying to and from San Diego. Also, I was definitely younger than most of the spouses and definitely one of the few men present. I was worried about getting caught up in a group hot flash.


Which I suppose is why I found myself on this boat one morning touring the harbor with six other people. Due to the overcast skies, cool temperatures and breezy nature, I spent most of my time alone out on the open deck while the other five sat inside breathing stale air and watching the world pass by through nose smudged windows. Suckers!

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Some people just can't bare the outdoors. I once had a Yellowstone Ranger tell me that the average visit there is something like 1.5 hours. That's about enough time to drive through the park and maybe snap a couple of photos, buy a T-shirt and leave.

Sad really.

Thanks for the photo tour.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Sometimes that is a good thing for those of us who truly love the outdoors. I remember spending a morning fighting crowds in Glacier and we set off down a trail thick with more people. But after about a quarter of a mile, I don't think we saw another person for the next ten until we got within spitting distance of the other trail head.

Ron said...

It is sad... but I'm a beneficiary too. I'll never forget a trip along the north shore, where we hiked miles and miles of trails without seeing another person. In spite of the popularity of the state parks there, it seems 99% of the people who visit just hurry from their car/RV to the gift shop and back. I was amazed at how easy it was to lose the crowds (much to my delight).

Beautiful photos, I like that bridge... kind of sci-fi-looking.

Vince said...

Are you in the roads under the bridge at that point. I thought there was more clearance than that. But that bridge I would love to see. SD, meh, not so much.

Ed said...

Ron - Thank goodness people are lazy!

Vince - I was on a boat when I took that picture about fifteen feet above waterline. We were directly under the highest point which according to the internet is 200 feet high.

edifice rex said...

A group hot flash!!! LOL!! I 'bout spit up with that one!!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Although a lot of the buildings and facilities have been built since I last worked in San Diego in 1958 your pictures brought back some beautiful memories.