Friday, January 14, 2011

The Load Out

"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli!" -George Castanza from Seinfeld: The Marine Biologist

It is always hard to get a sense of scale when taking pictures and videos but the waves in the video above were nearly eight feet tall from trough to crest. For two days, we watched those waves crash onto shore and listened to them lull us to sleep. I happened to mention that had it been warmer, they would have been fun to play in the ocean among them but my brother who is more experienced than I in the ways of the ocean said that they would have been fun until the first one pounded me into the sea floor and then as I stood there coughing up water and trying to recover another one would come in and repeat the pounding. After that, I was content just to watch them come in. On the last full day, someone even brought out a surfboard and I thought I would get so see that in real life but evidently the waves weren't the right kind. They almost always broke immediately after forming. I did get to witness some kids skim boarding and another guy fly the kite portion of a kite surfing outfit.  He got drug around on the sand a lot but it wasn't as impressive as it would have been had he a board strapped to his feet and was jumping off the crests of those waves.

In retrospect, the rough seas was a fitting end to the vacation and gave me the motivation to go north to my home in Iowa. It was still sunny when we loaded up the van, stopped in at a seafood marked to buy some fresh yellow fin tuna and crab cakes to take back home, and headed north. We got as far as the northwest corner of Alabama when we found ourselves in the middle of a violent thunderstorm that we found out the next morning had been full of tornadoes and had torn up parts of Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi. The next day was largely overcast and as we crept north, the temperatures seemed to plummet colder with every stop. We had left the coast in shirt sleeves and with the air conditioner on and ended up wearing jackets by southern Missouri and were downright shivering when we got home. I guess it was better than stepping off a direct flight and experiencing it all at once. It was a good trip and I would like to do it again someday. Next time however, I will cough up the extra 30% it would have cost us to rent the condo for an entire month instead of just one week. I would end up with a whole week of blog posts about the sunset instead of just one!


R. Sherman said...

Watching a listening to the waves is always the best part of a beach vacation. Very soothing.


sage said...

I like watching an angry sea!

TC said...

A month?!?!? A month at the beach?!?! Who can even fathom!

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I slept like a baby all week.

Sage - I do up to a point. I was caught in a Typhoon driving along Manila Bay once and wondered if I would live to see another day.

TC - I know!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

They tell me they have the occasional rip tide on the west side of that beach. That wouldn't have been fun, but generally the seas don't get that high unless there is a real storm in the area. (I have never seen a real rip tide except for the brief stint I spent as a lifeguard on Mission Beach in San Diego-- Never want to see another one up close). Glad you had a good time. I had a good time too, but in different weather.

Bone said...

That's about as high as I've ever seen waves there.

You must've passed not far from Casa de Bone!

I remember the first time I ever crossed the Mason-Dixon line. A friend and I were driving to Indianapolis. It was warm here when we started out so we were wearing short sleeves and thought nothing of it. I guess we didn't have the windows down or anything on the drive so when we arrived, we experienced a bit of climate shock.

Bone said...

By the way, loved the George Costanza quote.