Monday, September 13, 2010

Mystery Solved!


I really try to not drag these things out in an effort to bore my regular readers but it seems like no matter what I do, it happens that way. Readers will recall several posts where I went from believing that the above couple were my second great grandparents to not knowing who they were at all. Well for the last month after my family reunion, I've been receiving a trickle of photos, descriptions and such and the latest packet of pictures that I received solved several mysteries that I have been pondering on this blog, including the identity of the couple pictures above.

Please meet Andrew Jay Stevens and his wife Flora Celinda Wells Stevens. They are no blood relation to me but do tie into the family that I have been blathering on about on this blog for several years. The first born daughter of my 2nd great grandparents John Henry Baker and Blanche Jessie McKee was Frances Ellen Baker. These fine people would eventually become her in-laws. Frances Ellen Baker married their son Solomon Uri Stevens in 1915. I'm not sure whether this picture was taken before or after their marriage but I'm guessing people with car knowledge might be able to date this picture based off that car in the background.

4 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Always good to have information, even if it contradicts an earlier belief/home. I'm sure your search will bear fruit eventually.

Cheers.

Vince said...

I'm delighted you found them.

If it were I, that sort of fixable doubt would drive me up the wall.
On the car it is probably American given where you are. Were it Texas or the north east then it could have been French. Ditto San Fran or even Nevada.
I'm thinking an REO and the 1912.
See, http://wolfe.vsb.bc.ca/autotour/reo.htm

So the photo could be any-time after that

sage said...

you're working out a puzzle--sometimes things that seem to fit don't. I envy your great photo collection, even if they are not all family.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - It is and it certainly has born fruit over the years. See my comment to Sage below.

Vince - A 1912 Reo is as good a guess as any. Certainly much more likely than anything I had come up with.

Sage - It probably was only two years ago, that I was asking another genealogist Frank over at Lucas Countyan how he obtained all his wonderful old pictures. At the time, I didn't have any. But as time has passed and I've reached out to other relatives of my quest, I've been blessed with lots of pictures. As I've now learned, that is only half the battle. Figuring out who is in the picture is the other half.