Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Now I've Seen Everything

This has been a rough year for farming. We've had about ten planting days during the entire two and a half month planting "window" where it was actually dry enough to plant. But my parents managed to plant the crop twice with only a couple hundred acres that won't get planted at all this year. Much of what was planted will be rated poor when it comes time to harvest but sometimes you have to go ahead and play the odds. All of that is why I am not a farmer and how my only beef with the rain is getting the lawn mowed.

I have joked at times this year about getting ready to "remove the pontoons" off my lawn mower and sadly, it hasn't been to far from the truth. I have a small lawn here in town and only have a push mower but at times, I've rutted up my yard getting the grass cut. Although I am a minimalist when it comes to lawn care, I've occasionally sprayed some chemicals here and there to keep the Creeping Charlie in check so that when it fades out of season there is still some grass afterwards. This year I haven't been able to even do that because I haven't had an open window where rain wasn't threatening the forecast. However, I've always been able to eventually get it mowed before it looks to obscene and have never had to mow it during a rain storm. My neighbor across the street uphill from the Lawn Nazi can't say that after last week.

I was on my way home from daycare during a brief downpour when as I turned into my driveway, saw my neighbor across the street mowing his lawn. He wasn't heading toward the garage and wasn't just finishing up. In fact, it looks like he had perhaps started only fifteen minutes before I drove by. He would push his lawn mower forward for about ten feet, stop, and then proceed to shake it violently to clear the clogged grass out of the discharge. If that didn't work, which was about half the time, he would stop the mower, clear it with a stick that he was carrying in one hand and then start up the lawn mower and proceed. Water is pouring from the skies and running off the lawnmower in small rivers!

I know this isn't very believable because who mows lawn when it is pouring rain out but it is true. All I had was my cell phone and standing in my garage with him only 40 feet away wasn't enough of a comfort zone to take a photo inconspicuously. So I hurried inside, found my digital camera and was going to take a photo through our front window but he gave up at that point, threw his stick across the yard and drug his lawnmower around the corner of the house. I feel his pain. My lawn is going on 9 days now since the last time I mowed it and I don't know when I will be able to mow it next. Perhaps I too will be mowing in the rain soon.

12 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Good grief. What was that guy thinking?

Cheers.

sage said...

The corn around here either looks great--but in the low areas which have yet to really dry, the corn isn't even up. Maybe you need to get a rice harvester or attach ur mower to an airboat...

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I take my rain frustrations out on blog posts. I guess he just decided to deal with his stress differently. Still, I wish he would have kept at it long enough for me to get a picture.

Sage - Normally by this time of year, the corn has tasseled. Around here, there is still some that is only knee high and all of it is yellow and sickly looking. After you read my Friday post, the idea of planting rice might seem like good business.

Murf said...

I've done it in a light mist when I've already started but it's never been in a downpour nor in that much of a need of cutting. I'm enjoying our dry spell. We haven't mowed in 9 days and it doesn't even look like it. I love July.

Ron said...

Heh, sounds like a funny scene...

Although I can relate to the frustration of weather not cooperating with a person's schedule!

Ron

Ron said...

Heh, sounds like a funny scene...

Although I can relate to the frustration of weather not cooperating with a person's schedule!

Ron

TC said...

The rain just seems neverending. It's like the Midwest is the new Seattle.

Vince said...

Ah, I don't know. I've lived with a shrew before. That might explain why the poor fellow was out.


A pair of brothers working outside in a field were caught in a downpour. One newly married. Both men dashed to the homestead where on entering the wife made a huge fuss of her man leaving the other standing there dripping. When her husband was puffed and powdered the woman turned to her brother-in-law asking him "Johnny, did you get wet".
To which he answered. "No, I ran between the drops".

Ed said...

Murf - I think in 2006, I was blogging on here how I only mowed my lawn four or five times the entire year. That hasn't been the case these last four years.

Ron - Fortunately for my lifestyle, the rain really doesn't interfere with my schedule. The farmer in me still cringes every time it rains.

TC - The new Seattle, that is a good name for this misery. I'm going to start using that phrase if you don't mind.

Vince - I have a good lead off joke slated for tomorrow's post.

Frank D. Myers said...

No one around here has gotten quite that desperate -- yet. But the season's young. Since I live on top of the hill my lawn dries first and after a hot afternoon it's all neat and tidy again and I can hold my head up in this neatly clipped neighborhood.

But speaking of obsessives, my neighbor at the foot of the hill in the other direction mows three times a week rain or shine. Really. And his wife spends hours on her knees on the sidewalk pulling stray crabgrass alongside it. It's an amazing duo performance, but I've never seen either out in a downpour --- yet.

Ed said...

Frank - I got my lawn mowed today finally. I'm guessing you were doing the same. Fortunately for the breeze or I'm not sure I would have survived. I was in good company because every person on my street in a block in each direction was out mowing their lawn at the same time. It was quite a racket!

Beau said...

We had a good bit of rain last week, but I just see these huge massess of storms round up through KS and NE and head your way each week, and just shake my head.