Monday, May 17, 2010

Doll House Update



What started out as a Christmas gift though even back then I said it would never be done in time, has continued to drag into another year. With my wife working in the urban jungle to finish her residency and my taking care of the everyday household and child rearing chores, there isn't much free time, especially now with spring. However, with a spate of rainy days recently, we were able to put a second and third coat of yellow paint on the exterior siding of the doll house. I still have some purple paint, chosen by Little Abbey, for some interior rooms but that is a project for another day.

I initially thought I would build windows and doors for the house along with furniture for the inside but have since changed my tune. Grandparents have generously given doll house furniture to outfit it from top to bottom and before we put it up here to paint it, she had it all arranged. I may still build doors and windows some day in the future but I'm guessing that will be after the purple paint and that is still a ways in the future. I just hope that if I get to someday live out my dream of building my own home, I don't drag it out as long as this one.

9 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Looks good. I say, let her get to playing; you can finish doors and windows in time for her kids to enjoy it!

Cheers.

geri said...

Looks good already, even without the windows and doors.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Oh she has been playing with it. I just confiscate it for an evening now and then to put a coat of paint on it. It will probably be in her possession permanently until snow flies and inside time abounds again.

Geri - Thanks. I've resigned myself to the fact that it may never get windows or doors but she loves it anyway.

Murf said...

Except for the color of it, it looks like an Amish house. Can we get some shutters at least? ;-)

TC said...

Haha, I'm with Murf!

Beau said...

Looks pretty nice. What about showing her some magazines or pictures of doll houses on the internet...asking what else she'd like on it? Maybe she'd love to help. I hope my coop doesn't take that long...

Ed said...

Murf & TC - I have never seen an Amish house any color but white. It is against their religious beliefs as our shutters. But having said that, shutters, at least not the slatted kind, would be fairly easy to make and install.

Beau - She does love to help and helped me paint it. I think I will pass on giving her more ideas though lest my other projects suffer as much as this one already has.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Looks good. My doll houses for the kids tended to start out with Luan paneling and let paint do the rest.
(Mine are all long dead as the children got older, yours may pass along to grandkids.)

As for building your own home, you are welcome to it. I have remodelled almost every house I have owned, and that, for me, was more than sufficient.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Cool beans...