Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Doe, a Deer, a Female Deer


Back when I was hunting for morels earlier this year, I stumbled upon this grisly scene. You would think as thick as deer are in this area, (thicker than flies on a pile of manure on a hot day), that I would see more of these remains but this is probably only the second time in my life I have found a full set of deer bones. Most of the time, I see dead deer with their hides still covering their bones and before it turns to dust or just a few bones, the rest scattered far and wide by scavengers.

I find it remarkable that although different, all skeletal remains are remarkable similar. There are spines, skulls, ribs and four appendages, a head up front and a butt in back and yet we are totally different species. We can evolve and yet our evolution still has constraints. Anyway, I'm guessing there will be nothing here to see by the time mushroom madness begins next year.

9 comments:

R. Sherman said...

That is an amazing find. Normally, the coyotes spread the remains far and wide.

geri said...

Makes you wonder what her story is =)

PhilippinesPhil said...

I read somewhere that there are more whitetails in the US now than there were 300 years ago. Makes sense when you consider that dense old growth forests are not their cup of tea. That one must have rotted down before the local foxes and stray dogs could have at it. I'm heading out in a few hours for another trip to Puerto Galera. Gonna try some scuba diving. Should be fun...

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Perhaps I should preserve and mount it like a dinosaur at a museum.

Geri - I'm guessing she lived fast and died young. I'm not sure whether she was even a she. She could have been a he and died right after losing his antlers.

Phil - They are at historical densities in my neck of the woods. It has happened in my lifetime because when I was young, it was a rarity to even see a deer. Now it is a rarity if you make it a year without hitting one in your car. I can't wait to see your underwater camera shots.

R. Sherman said...

Phil is correct, especially in Missouri, where they are a supreme nuisance. Although the increase speaks well for conservation efforts, Disney's Bambi, and a general coastal aversion to hunting have made good stewardship virtually impossible.

Beau said...

I've seen something like that a couple times and always wondered what the story could have been...

PhilP and RS are so right. I'm almost embarrassed to not take a deer during the season in Missouri, but unless you've got access to private land or a good draw on managed conservation areas, it's still tough going on public lands.

Ron said...

A terrible waste of venison jerky....

Nice find though. Record harvest this year and last year, I believe, in my county. And still I see herds of deer along the road.

I have GOT to get my butt out there and get my food plot going...

Ron

Ed said...

R. Sherman, Beau & Ron - They are so thick up here that if they offered a lasso season, I think I could tag out in one day.

Beau - Although I don't go hunting very often, I do usually try to have someone who enjoys hunting more than I shoot a deer for me. A win win situation.

sage said...

poor Bambi :) It is an interesting find, and you're right, you don't generally find a whole skeleton structure.