Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Daddy's Turn With the Camera

Because my daughter is turning into quite the shutterbug, it is hard for me to wrestle the camera away from her to take some pictures of my own. But I did a couple of weeks ago and here are some of the pictures that I took.

This is my sour cherry tree in bloom. I love sour cherries because they make the best cherry pies and after scouring numerous nurseries, I finally found one. I planted it in my backyard several years ago where it has been pruned a couple times by the neighbor kids using it as home plate. Other than the first year, it has not produced one cherry. The one we had at our original farm and the one at my parent's farm are both single trees so I assumed they were self pollinating. I suspect the real culprit may have been late freezes the last couple years. This is also the first year in a long time I can ever remember seeing it bloom.

One of my two redbud trees beginning to bloom. Since the blooms never happened last year due to an untimely frost, it will be the first time in awhile I have seen them. I just love these trees and only wish I had a dogwood to go with them.

Some of my wife's flowers. I am really poor at flower identification so I can't really tell you anything about it other than I find it pretty.

The first word that my daughter learned how to spell and the word she first spelled with alphabet blocks after years of building towers with them.


What I believe is a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker that was up in a ridge vent of the barn down on my parent's farm banging his brains out in his attempt to get outside instead of simply flying down and out the open barn doors. He was really making quite a racket while my daughter was flying her kite on a fine Easter day.

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I'm with you on the cherries. As far as I'm concerned a sour (or bing) cherry pie a la mode is the absolute best thing in the universe.

Cheers.

Ron said...

Some of our flowering trees here are just starting to turn to green alone. It sure is nice to have a burst of color to go along with the nice weather.

Ron

sage said...

The trees here are now beautiful with flowers... From the perspective of a father of a girl, stop is a good word for them to learn!

geri said...

That's so cool Little Abbey spelling her first word =) Developments are always exciting. Like the sour cherry tree blossom.

Ed said...

Geri - She can spell several words but that is the first one of them she spelled with blocks. For me, that is a sure sign that it is learned behavior and not association.

Beau said...

I'm a sour cherry fan as well. We have a small one, and hopefully a few cherries this year. It takes so long to get the fruit trees producing mature fruit!

TC said...

Pretty impressive with the "STOP." :) I thought all kids only used those blocks to build towers?