Friday, April 9, 2010

August 28, 1908: Waterloo, Iowa

While figuring out a date for some background research in the previous posting, I got to scanning the rest of the articles on that particular page of the newspaper on August 28, 1908. It was amazing to me how much news was packed onto one page of the newspaper. I decided to clip a few of the many articles out for a blog posting on the subject.

I have been called thick headed but I think this boy is in the running for having an even thicker head.



I wonder what the writers of this article would think of today's society with nude images all over the internet, television and movies.



Kujo?


A failed canal that might have put us on the map right there next to the Erie Canal with perhaps a song about us to boot.



Again, I think they would be shocked to learn in modern times, not only do we not prosecute elopers, but we don't even arrest them if they are with another married person. We just put them on afternoon shock talk shows.



Sensationalism at its finest.



Yep, the offspring of this person are still alive and writing.

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

If one were going to run away in the 19th Century, for the love of all things good, they, should've headed west into the plains, not down the road to another Iowa town.

Cheers.

Beau said...

Too funny, but really interesting! I love comparing historical context to then and now.

Murf said...

If this was Facebook, I would become a Fan of this blog entry.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Agreed.

Beau - I found it fascinating.

Murf - Since I don't have a facebook page and don't know the ins and outs of it, I'll take that as a compliment.

Ron said...

Ahh, the 'good old days'... :)

Ron

Eutychus2 said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire article .... keep them coming!

sage said...

The canal sounded more like an electrical dam, the building of great canals was mostly pre-railroad. Good clips, I read through 50 years of such papers when I was researching for my dissertation, and often got distraction (from what I was looking for) by the interesting bits of reporting.