Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lesson Learned

When I blogged about spring fever a couple weeks ago, I should have known that I was asking for trouble. I'm old enough to know better than to tempt Mother Nature. Only a few more weeks until March and then I can make it is along the lines of what I said. Mother Nature has since said, "Oh yeah!? We'll see about that." Now we have over 24" of snow pack on the ground, something I have never experienced before in the southern reaches of eastern Iowa. I have seen the bare ground just once since sometime back in December, another thing that I can't every remember happening. The good part about it is that my three and a half year old daughter just loves all the snow. I've had to accomodate her by shoveling a ramp of sorts just so she can climb out of the driveway. March is still five days away so I'm not going to make anymore comments about how good it will be when we get there. I've learned my lesson well.

One of the advantages of having a steel roof is pretty icicles. One of the disadvantages is that they are hard on keeping gutters attached to the house. I've already patched up this run once this winter.

An icicle fence next to what remains of my daughter's snowman buried under the snow.

12 comments:

R. Sherman said...

In Germany, it's illegal to allow icicles to accumulate on your roof because of the danger of impalement to innocent passersby. Of course, leave it to the Germans to take the fun out of everything.

Cheers.

geri said...

Those are pretty icicle fences =)When I first arrived here in the U.S. I have been always fascinated with those long icicles hanging from the roofs.

Eutychus2 said...

Ed...
now are is that icicle fence a stalagmite or stalatite? never was good on that stuff, but there certainly are beautiful. Hey, Sherm how about if Ed helps LA build a snowman with an icicle coming up out of his head? Ed, you could tell her is a uniman.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I obviously haven't been impaled but I almost got knocked out once by a slab up on the roof letting go and hitting me in the shoulder. I've since learned to avoid the sidewalk underneath on warmish days.

Geri - Every time we go outside, L.A. always requests that I get one for her. Fortunately, I'm tall enough that I can just reach up and break on off. She uses it to practice writing in the snow.

Eutychus2 - I actually had two of them on her snowman for a time but they have melted and since you really can't tell that it is a snowman anymore, we haven't replaced them.

Sage said...

You should make an ice house for LA--it's become a ritual where the snow plow dumps all the snow at the bottom of the drive way, to dig out a house/cave and cover it with a tarp and my daughter loves playing in there

Murf said...

Looks like someone is in need of a roof rake.

TC said...

It's so much prettier when I look at your pictures than when I look out my window :)

Ed said...

Sage - I've thought about it but I am waiting until she is a bit older and stronger. I remember some of mine as a kid collapsing on me and I want her to be strong enough to stand up and not suffocate.

Murf - Not sure what a roof rake is but there is not pulling those things off. They are slabs that reach two thirds of the way up the roof and are imbedded on hundreds of screw heads. When they do fall off, they come off fast and hard and make a heck of a lot of noise, especially when I'm lying in bed half asleep.

TC - To me, the pictures have lost all joy. I'm longing for green grass.

Bone said...

An icicle fence! I've never seen one of those, even in pictures. That's pretty cool. Looks like you guys could stage your very own Iowa Winter Olympics.

Vince said...

I keep wondering if the old cameras were better at the very subtle contrasts. Or if it was just that it took soooo long before they were developed that one forgot what was the real colour shading.

Ed said...

Bone - It has since tripled in size. This is my first one too so I'm just going with the flow as my daughter sees it.

Vince - I think a lot of it has to do with the point-and-shoot cameras of today where people don't bother fiddling with the settings to get the contrast. I'm one of those. The camera that I took those photos with is one of the first digital models made by Cannon and it is in the process of being retired for the newest one that come out. I hope it does a lot better.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.