Monday, January 11, 2010

Toilet Paper Lightbulb and Something About Socks and Crayons

Our daughter has discovered a joy of singing and spends much of her day singing various songs. She loves to sing "The Wheels on the Bus", "London Bridge", a Filipino song about a hungry spider, a song from the Little Mermaid, another one from Annie and literally several dozen more. However several weeks ago she started singing one that I could not identify.

It sounded like, "toilet paper light bulb (pause) socks for (something I couldn't understand)crayons." Those were the only words and they were just repeated over and over. When I first noticed, I asked her what she was singing and of course she immediately stopped and refused to sing it again. However when I caught her singing it again a few days later, I played my cards right and began singing with her only pausing during the words I couldn't understand to listen for their meaning. The only thing I could come up with was socks for washing crayons but that didn't make a lot of sense.

Perhaps a couple weeks went by before I thought to ask Mrs. Z from daycare assuming that she learned the song from there but Mrs. Z had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Her only guess was that she had learned it from K who is a four year old girl there and Little Abbey's best friend.

Time would pass and I had made a mental note that I would ask the teachers from Little Abbey's preschool if I remembered because that was the last place I could think of where she might have learned a new song. But as it turned out, I never had to go that far. One evening between Christmas and the New Year in are apartment in the Urban Jungle, Little Abbey was watching Caillou on the iPod while we both were reading. That is when we faintly heard the song lyrics, "Toilet paper, light bulb..."

The sound was turned to low to understand the rest of the part, the part I couldn't understand so we both leaned over Little Abbey trying to get her to replay the song. Mrs. Abbey tried to find it for five minutes or so but eventually gave up. We at least had the answer of where she learned it and now new it was just a matter of time when we would hear it again and figure the words out. That is when it finally hit me that perhaps I had enough information to Google it.

I typed in toilet paper light bulb and had thousands of hits but none that seemed like the lyrics for the song. So I next added the word Caillou to the search string and the number one result was a video clip entitled, "Toilet paper, light bulb, socks for Rosie, crayons." The clip was of a little girl but in the background Caillou was playing and singing those very words. Perhaps a minute later after we had our answer, Little Abbey had found the clip again and after calling us over, replayed it for us. As it turned out, the clip was about remembering a list of things by making a song about them, a technique I have used in the past to remember such things as the 50 states in order of joining the union, the presidents, the boyscout motto, the order of the planets, etc. They learn young!

11 comments:

Beau said...

I love this one... neat detective work too! Wish I had a list and recordings of all the cute things the kids say and sing along the way...

R. Sherman said...

Of course, the scary thing about kids repeating stuff, is that sometimes, what they hear and repeat is not exactly stuff one would prefer. Most of us learn that lesson the hard way, usually at church or a huge family get-together.

Cheers.

sage said...

Cute story. I knew my daughter was growing up when, right before Christmas when she was four or five, she was singing: "Joy to the world, Barney is dead, we've barbecued his head, don't worry about the body, we've flushed it down the potty, and round and round it goes..."

geri said...

I love Little Abbey stories :)

Ed said...

Beau - It is very rare that I am able to catch her singing with the video portion of my camera which also catches audio.

R. Sherman - We've taken to spelling things but that is only temporary.

Sage - Ah, reminds me of the days of "Batman Smells" and other childhood knockoff songs.

Geri - Consider it payment for the Evan stories.

Bone said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that I'm the only person here who has no clue who/what Caillou is :)

Cute story, though.

Eutychus2 said...

Great story,I love it. My grandkids will do the same thing when we're with them, and then I dare to ask where's its from I get that look like 'Gramps, what world are you living in?' Its sweet. Gram and I now save all our emails and photo's concerning our grandkids and Gram even saves the recordings of them on the phone.

Ed said...

Bone - Don't worry, I didn't either until about a year and a half ago. Funny what you learn with kids.

Eutychus2 - I write things down in my journal but I always wish I had written more when I look back on past entries.

fullfreezer said...

Oh, I love Caillou. It is such a gentle show. We haven't watched it for ages since our kids are older now. I don't remember the toilet paper, light bulbs song though. What a great story.
Judy

TC said...

I love listening to the munchkins sing. My niece made me pick her up the other day just to see the alphabet with her.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Lovely story. I enjoy little Abbey stories even more than I used to enjoy (I still miss them) your dog stories.