Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm Feeling Better Already

I took my daughter to daycare and then stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few things. It felt odd being there so early when everyone else was at work. Back home, I changed into some sweats, dosed myself with some medicine, made a cup of hot chocolate and sat down at the computer.

I am officially sick though perhaps not really sick. I just have a cold and it is in the latter throws of the duration but I hate being around people like me at work. You know those people. The red eyed, runny nosed and hacking cough people. I had the day so I just called it in, watched that October mist come down, sipped my hot chocolate and did something I haven't done in a long time. With the new blog post cursor blinking, I ignored it and instead just watched the two squirrels that recently showed up in my oak tree out front chase each other silly for over a half hour.

I thought about getting the camera out and taking a few pictures but didn't want to chance anyone spotting me out while I was sick. Besides, it was barely 40 and drizzling. Perfect weather for catching a cold or starting a fire in the fireplace. I'm glad that I had the presence of mind to carry in several arm loads of wood the day before. I have a big thick biography on James Madison that I am trying to slog through (read that the review on this one is not going to be the greatest) but I have a couple lighter fares still on the shelf, perfect for a day like today. So excuse me (sniffle) while I go sit by a roaring fire (cough) and read a good book while you all slave away at your day jobs. I'm feeling better already.

8 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I discovered a long time ago, that if I want to get rid of a cold, I stay home, drink a half bottle of Nyquil and sleep for two days. It's a heck of a lot better than spreading the virus around at the office to all and sundry. Get well, and

Cheers.

Bone said...

I posted this in my comments, but didn't know if you'd check back. So here is a link for the episode of Curb Your Enthusiam where they start discussing a Seinfeld reunion: http://watchcurbyourenthusiasm.com/2009/10/04/season-7-episode-3-the-reunion/

Murf said...

Watching squirrels for 30 minutes? Thinking I was 3 in 1997? A James Madison biography? I think you need to take the rest of the week off, my friend.

By the way...why didn't you hit the grocery store in your sweats? A lot of people do it. I don't but I've seen it in person and here: www.peopleofwalmart.com. You should try it sometime.

TC said...

I hate it when people who are coughing and hacking and sneezing spread those germs around. If you have the day to take, take it! Good call.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Sounds an awful like like my method.

Bone - Thanks for the link. I usually check back on posts that I have commented on but sometimes I miss one.

Murf - I will have to be dead or my life on the verge of death before you would see me in Wal-Mart in sweats.

TC - Me too!

Beau said...

Hope you're much better now- that roaring fire and a good book sounds like a perfect remedy. Maybe some hot tea and honey...

sage said...

I hope you're feeling better today!

PhilippinesPhil said...

Does volunteer work count as a day job...? Ya know Ed, Ya can't kill the virus, but you can beat back the symptoms. No excuse to have the sniffles and coughing anymore, not with the meds they have these days...