Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ancient Ways


I had been by this place dozen of times so out of boredom, Little Abbey and I stopped one sunny Saturday while the Mrs. was at work to check it out. When I first stepped in, my first impression was that it was just your average tourist shop with lots of polished rock, jewelry and other knickknacks on display. But the deeper we went into the shop, the more my view changed.

Behind the counter on the left, it looked like a medieval apothecary shop with lots of glass jars fulls of everything from frog wart to sand of eternity. Not sure what either one was meant to be used for but I certainly wasn't going to ask. Further back on the other side, there were shelves upon shelves of tarot cars and even a tin of Kuma Sutra with deck of cards and book included the label proudly exclaimed. In the middle was an eight foot long book shelf with both sides filled with nothing but different magic books. Not the sleight of hand stuff but casting spell on your neighbor type of magic.

In the very back there was a clothing shop of sorts where you could get your entire goth outfit and such witty T-shirts as "I Believe in God... The One Spelled Nature," and "Don't Mess With Me Unless You Want Me To Turn You Into a Frog That Is Ground To Dust and Stored In Some Out of the Way Shop Called Ancient Ways." At that point, Little Abbey announced that she had enough of the store and wanted to leave and I almost raced her on the way out.

As we crossed the street and got into the car, I noticed an old woman with long white hair across the street leaning on a gnarled cane staring at us. Goose bumps ran up my spine. Little Abbey and I got out of the area as fast as possible and returned home. I am still waiting to start growing scales or some sort of voodoo for not buying anything.

16 comments:

Murf said...

Maybe the voodoo will do something good like give you arches in your feet. :-)

I met a Wiccan once. I was even in her house. Other than her love of color and candles and her converting a closet into a bathroom (ingenious!), it was all very 'normal' and she was very cute and pleasant.

Murf said...

By the way, your 'Blogs of Others' is wonky. I updated mine last night but it still has me tagged as being 6 days ago.

Ed said...

Murf - I think it is you who is wonky posting a recent post but dating it six days ago!

sage said...

Weird--sounds almost like the tattoo/piercing place a couple of us stumbled into on a dare once in SF... but I am curious, just in case I ever need to know, by what unit do you buy frog warts: by the piece, the gram, the ounce?

geri said...

did you by any chance found a book "how to voodoo car thieves?"

edifice rex said...

Oooh, that's creepy. I've wandered into a couple of such shops myself. Always interesting though.

Murf said...

Sage - "Stumbled into on a dare"? Right. So what did you get pierced?

Ed - You are right, it was me. Geez that hurt to write.

R. Sherman said...

Yikes! Nothing like a little pre-Halloween weirdness to get the antennae quivering. My advice is to stock up on the garlic.

Cheers.

Eutychus2 said...

Ed.............
Here's a challenge for you. I once purposely walked into one of those stores to buy a set of tarot cards - and the process I had to go through both in asking for the cards, and explaining whyI wanted them [and passing some unknown criteria for getting them] .. and then the whole paying process was weird; so go back without little Abbey and tell them you'd like to purchase some tarot cards ....
I'd love [almost pay for] your description of that visit!
-eutychus2

Ed said...

Sage - They had a small scale so I'm guessing ounce. There was a lady there paying for a small white envelope of some powdery substance when I entered.

Geri - I'm assuming any of the general spells for your neighborhood books would probably cover that topic. I was afraid to even look inside of one.

Edifice Rex - It certainly gave me the heeby jeebies.

Murf - Now if only I could remember this moment and throw it back at your for the rest of your life. ;)

R. Sherman - Good advice. I love garlic!

Eutychus2 - I almost bought a cheap deck of tarot cards just to scan the package cover for this blog but didn't. Perhaps I will next time.

Beau said...

Garlic, yes- that should do it! Strange visit- I've always wondered how they can make a living with that stuff. The novelty probably pays for most of it.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Used to have a game when I was young (boy! does that sound weird?)in which a group of kid sat on the steps and a selected one approached the others with a chant "I am an old lady with a stick and a staff. Now don't you dare smile or don't you dare laugh." I am a little fuzzy about the conclusion --probably because I smiled or laughed-- But it seems like a good game to try with little Abby about now. (Joking, don't you understand, I am joking.)

TC said...

At that point, Little Abbey announced that she had enough of the store and wanted to leave and I almost raced her on the way out.

Haha. She was probably just bored while Daddy was scared ;)

How much longer are you in the big city?

Ed said...

Beau - I would guess by being only open a few hours a week but this place seems to be open every time I drive by. Magic perhaps?

3 Score - Never heard of the game.

TC - Off and on for the next 996 days. Mostly it is just weekends when the Mrs. is on call at the hospital.

TC said...

Oh wow. That's a long time.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Then you woke up... it was all just a dream... (nnfr)