Monday, June 8, 2009

The Tree


For as long as I have known about it, I have always referring to it as The Tree always using capital letters. I don't know why I am so captivated by The Tree but for the last six years, I have. It is on a small county blacktop road that I drive on my way down to the family farm and is situated off a corner so that when you are heading towards the farm, you see it a quarter mile away. On the way home from the farm, it isn't as noticeable since it is off the west side of the road and most of your focus is on the sharp corner you are about to enter.

The Tree has always calls out my name when I pass it by. It beckons me to lie in the tall grasses underneath its shady branches during summer. In spring and fall it asks me to slow down and admire the beauty. In the winter, its skeleton really catches my attention and always looks so cold and lonely. It The Tree were my tree, I would spend lots of time beneath its branches watching the world pass me by. But The Tree belongs to someone else, who I don't know, and so I just drive by and admire it.

I've been driving by it for twenty years though it never grabbed my attention until I moved back into the area six years ago. Why I don't know. Perhaps it moved into the area Lord of the Rings like about then too. If I had a dollar every time I have driven by it wishing I had brought a camera with me or have thought I would stop if I didn't have to be down at the farm or if my daughter wasn't napping and I didn't want to disturb her or for any number of reasons, I would have a good size pile of money sitting before me.
A month ago as I was heading home, seeing The Tree and having my normal regrets about not having a camera, I realized that I had a cellphone with a camera in my pocket, I didn't need to be down to the farm right away and I was all by my lonesome. So I turned around, drove back, and there by the side of the road, I parked my car and snapped a picture from my cellphone. The sky was overcast and the lighting was all wrong but it was the first picture I have ever taken of The Tree. If they ever figure out how to create trees from pictures someday, I am going to be the first in line to order this one.

14 comments:

sage said...

You need to do a series on the tree: spring, summer, fall and winter. I always like seeing a lone tree in a field--but it looks like it needs a tire swing hanging from a branch.

R. Sherman said...

It's amazing how certain objects capture our attention over and over again. I thank all of us have our "trees" whatever they may be.

Cheers.

geri said...

I know why you would call it The Tree with capital letters, because it looks it :)

The Real Mother Hen said...

Make The Tree your tree Ed :)

Hhmm, have you planted one for little Abbey?

Murf said...

Funny that The Tree gives us such different messages. I hear it saying "You best get goin' cuz there's a storm a'brewin'". For some reason The Tree doesn't like the 'g' sound while talking with a bit of a Southern inflection. :-)

Beau said...

That's a nice one. Trees are amazing!

Ron said...

I like that photo with the tree against the sky. Beautiful!

Ron

fullfreezer said...

I have always loved 'sentinel trees'. They are somehow special. I to have a Tree. It's on my parent's farm. It has always beckoned me in it's own ways. Who knows....
Judy

Ed Abbey said...

Sage - I have wanted to for the longest time and I also want to do so with a good camera and not a cellphone. Perhaps this year.

R. Sherman - I have a woods, a natural rock seat, etc. I think you are absolutely right.

Geri - That is a lot of it plus the fact that it is off by itself really calls attention. I've mentioned it to a couple other people before and they all know which tree I'm talking about almost immediately.

Mother Hen - It wouldn't be a bad place to build a house someday....

Murf - Funny, I always thought it whispered in a voice of a poet.

Beau - They are. When I ever buy some land for my house, I'm going to make sure that I buy enough to populate with as many trees as I can plant.

Ron - It wasn't my best attempt but thank you. I promise that I'll do better someday.

Fullfreezer - Makes you want to curl up under it on a beautiful day with a good book doesn't it?

Murf said...

Oh come on! I bet you got a lot of girls using lines like that, didn't ya?

PhilippinesPhil said...

Waxing a little poetic there, eh? Trees will do that to you. Just ask Alfred Joyce Kilmer... "I think that I shall never see..." I'm not a fan of the poem, but I certainly understand the sentiment.

TC said...

It's actually a gorgeous photo.

And I like to think The Tree does kind of belong to you, too. Sometimes the things that speak to us are ours... even if a piece of paper doesn't say so.

edifice rex said...

That is a great tree. One of my college art professors always said that the trees are our cousins. I always liked that thought.

The Field of Gold said...

Just found this post. Couple of years late.

The tree always calls something to you. I'd love that tree too.
My trees are loved. After six years of planting many are still babies but there are now one or two that are true grown ups.
I stood under one yesterday. The biggest I call 'Balthazer' I need to correct my neck and walk around to see him properly and how he is doing.