Friday, December 5, 2008

Finding a Piece of Iowaville's Past

On our way back from seeing our neighbors on Thanksgiving, we scooped the loop in town. In other words, we drove the full length of Iowaville Main Street, all two blocks, turned around and drove back the same way.

There isn't much left of Iowaville. Stately brick store fronts used to line both sides of main street for the full length. Sometime recently, the last one on the west side fell down into a pile of bricks. I think all but one, possibly two have fallen down on the east side. It is a sad thing to see all these stores that I used to frequent in my youth are now nothing more than empty grass lots.

Many years ago while digging around our basketball area on the end of the garage to smooth out some lumps, I discovered a brick that said Iowaville on the side of it. I later learned that Iowaville used to have a brick making factory back in the early 1900's and made lots of bricks. I have looked off an on over the years among the piles of bricks on main street as they have fallen searching for more to add to my collection of one, but have been unsuccessful.

So as we drove by the pile of bricks from the recently fallen building spilled onto main street, I asked my wife to look to see if any said Iowaville as we drove by slowly. I wasn't even planning on stopping. However, she said she saw one and we did stop and go back to look. Sure enough, we found 3/4th of a brick with the words, Iowaville, Iowa stamped into one side. It wasn't in as good as shape as the one I had but still readable. We searched around to find one in better shape but couldn't find a single one. All the others were labeled with a company from Illinois. I'm guessing our lone brick was used as a repair somewhere along the line and was either a loner or one of only a few that were in the immense pile of bricks. So I took the partial brick and took it home to add to my collection of now 1 and 3/4 bricks. They are my reminder of what once was in Iowaville.

6 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

And now you're going to sell them on ebay! Lol,
wow your Mrs have excellent eyesight! :)

R. Sherman said...

I do bemoan the loss of America's small towns. Perhaps I'm naive, but there was an innocence to growing up in such a place that the world could use a dose of, methinks.

Cheers.

Beau said...

I second R's opinion; must be sad to see today what was so vibrant in youth. This post gives me thought for one of my own... thanks :)

sage said...

It is sad how things change--the first grocery store that I remember has long been gone and the little country stores at intersections have long gone--they did have a warm feel to them and fostered a sense of community that we no longer have.

Ron said...

That sounds like a unique collection. We got a bundle of old promotional pens at an auction a while back, and it made us realize just how many varied businesses used to be in the area.

It makes one wonder what the future holds...

Ron

Ed Abbey said...

Mother Hen - If they were worth anything besides sentimental value to me, I would sell them.

R. Sherman - At least we still have our memories.

Beau - I will soon be over at your blog to catch up on it and others that I may have missed.

Sage - Perhaps someday we will regain our sense of community.

Ron - An auction hound like me. Never can have too many pens.