Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day

Only fourteen years old, this was an adventure. We set off down the sloped ramp past wreaths, photographs and other people lost in their thoughts each of us going our own way. I counted sections until I found the one that I was looking for and started searching through the list of names. There about halfway down, I saw his name. He was the son of my neighbor and when they had found out that I was going there on a field trip, a place they had never been too, they had asked me to find his name. I took a piece of paper and placed it on the surface lightly scribbling over it with a colored pencil. His name slowly appeared in white on a colored background of scribbling. That done, I carefully folded up the paper and stuck it in my back pocket. I looked back at his name one last time and saw something else that I hadn't seen before. There in the smooth reflective black marble surface of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC, I saw myself. I knew then that my neighbor's son, a man who I never knew, and a wall full of thousands of others whom I never knew, died so that I could live. For that, I will always be thankful of our veterans.

2 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Nicely said.

Cheers.

Beau said...

Beautiful thoughts Ed- not many have that experience, or such a close sense of history and perspective. Thanks-