Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Can a Cold Count as One of 'Bad Luck In Threes'?

They say that bad luck comes in threes so if that is the case, I sure hope whoever keeps the tally is counting Little Abbey's cold at three months of age as one of those cases of bad luck. The second instance was the rotavirus that came when she was almost eight months and last Friday, well that is definitely the third instance and hopefully the last.

Little Abbey had a runny nose and a cough for about a week but since I had a bad cold only a week and a half before, we just assumed that she had inherited it. So we weren't concerned when we went to her nine-month checkup on Friday. She had her vitals taken and is still topping the charts in height and at the 50th percentile in weight at 19 lbs 11 ounces. But when the doctor said there was a resperatory virus going around and he wanted to do a nose swab, we started to get a little worried. When he came back and said that she had tested positive for RSV, a respiratory virus, which definitely worried us because the majority of those kids end up in the hospital.

So we loaded Little Abbey up into a contraption that held her immobile with her hands above her head while she got x-rayed to make sure she didn't have pneumonia. Fortunately she didn't have that but she did have bronchitis and would need to go on a nebulizer until the condition cleared up. As a side note, the doctor mentioned that she was probably contagious still and shouldn't be in contact with other babies or young children for another four or five days.

With the time being close to 6:00 pm on a Friday evening, I wasn't too optimistic about getting a nebulizer but after driving around town to several different drugstores, I finally found one that I could rent. Little Abbey absolutely hated the machine in the doctor's office but back home it seemed to comfort her and it certainly cleared up her chest congestion. By Sunday, she was back to her normal self but with an appetite that was slightly off. By Monday evening, the appetite returned and yesterday she was declared normal once again. Today, five days later, she returns to daycare and was a little sad to see me leave her.

On the one hand, I'm glad she didn't need hospitalization which most of her peers would. I can only thank the breast milk for keeping her immune system strong. She has fought two very dangerous illnesses for babies and did it well. I'm hoping that as most literature says, she will be healthier for it in the long run. The only think I dislike is the fact that she keeps bringing home this stuff from daycare. It is not the daycare's fault because Mrs. Z runs a tight ship. The fault lies in the system where parents don't keep their children home when they aren't well and the children pass it on to others who pass it on to others, etc. Children who haven't really understood the nuances of covering their mouths when they sneeze or washing their hands are the perfect breeding grounds.

But in the end, Little Abbey is back to normal and I'm relieved. As with all her illnesses, she bounced back and then some. Just yesterday alone, she pulled herself up to a standing position three times and learned to wave bye-bye. It just melts my heart

No comments: