Friday, January 19, 2007

Little Abbey Update 8

It's been awhile (over a month) since I have done a Little Abbey update so here is the latest and greatest in no particular order.

It seemed like only last week I was complaining about how she didn't seem inclined to sit up and just preferred to lie on her back. Well now the opposite is true. The only time she ever lays down without complaint is bedtime. She spends her day sitting on the floor playing with her toys or standing in her saucer playing with other toys. If you try to lay her down on her back for reasons other than changing a diaper, she immediately rolls over onto her stomach and then complains because she wants to see her toys from higher up. I assume trying to put a diaper on her anymore is harder than putting one on a full-grown crocodile. Never tried it before on a croc but how hard can that be?

Little Abbey loves her toys but just like adults with their toys, she bores of them quickly. You can give her an old toy and she will play with it for a couple minutes before moving onto the next old toy or you can give her a new toy that will keep her entertained for a half hour or more before it then become just another old toy. The new toy she really likes now is the television remote that is bright silver with blue buttons. Darned if she hasn't already figured out how to change the channels or decrease the volume, always at the most inopportune times.
Weather Guy: A massive storm system is going to pummel your city back to the ice age beginning approximately at (click)...

Shopping Channel Guy:… for only three easy payments of 19.99 but that's not all!

Me: (frantically grabs the remove upsetting Little Abbey who has by then grown quite attached to it and change back to the news)

Weather Guy: Now back to you Jim.
Besides interrupting the weather, Little Abbey really likes to jump and bounce around in her saucer, shrieking and causing a general ruckus. But I don't complain since she loves to stand in it and can even stand outside of it as long as she hangs onto something. She's nowhere close to crawling it seems or even getting from her belly to her hands and knees but she seems close to going for a run around the house. I'm still praying for a crawling stage so I can ease into the baby mobility thing gradually.

She can say dada and mama but I know they are more just random sounds to her and not associated with anything. The only word I can say for sure she associates to something is her own name. Say her name and she instantly turns around to look at you. Call her by anyone of my nicknames and she ignores me. I'm sure I will get more of that later on in life even when I call her by her given name.

Besides dada and mama, communication in general is developing in leaps and bounds as she is making her wants and desires known through various grunts, squeals and other sounds. Her I'm hungry sound or a serious of short whines is very distinct from her 'you took my favorite remote control away' cry or her 'I'm cranky but I don't want to nap' cry. I can't seem to learn my wife's language very fast but I'm sure picking up Little Abbey's language at a rapid clip.

She has outgrown everything. Her legs protrude from her car seat but we have no choice but to stuff them back in until she is a year old according to the law. We have a slipcover over the top to help insulate her from the cold and she loves nothing better than to spend her minutes in the car kicking and pulling at it. I used to tuck important papers, records or checks under it to give to whomever at our destination but she has figured out how to find them and loves to chew on them. Giving your daycare provider a soggy chewed on check is slightly embarrassing. Among other things she has also outgrown in her bathtub. The first bath we gave her after she came home from the hospital, she looked so small in it and left unattended, like she might sink and drown. Now she overhangs it and you are hard pressed to reach your hand down between her and the tub to get enough water to wet her.

One reason why Little Abbey may be losing fascination with her toys is her increased awareness of her surroundings. She constantly tracks us throughout the house and knows that when we disappear through one doorway, we are likely to appear in another instead of the original one we went through. I know this because when I peak around the corner, she will already be intently peering in my direction. She also drops toys out of sight and spends time leaning this way and that to try and find them again where as before, they were literally out of sight, out of mind. Now that she is more mobile, things just out of her reach fascinate her to the point of frustration and I find myself hiding them instead.

In the first months, my wife and I could rarely enjoy a casual meal because Little Abbey always needed attention. Inevitably, one of us would gobble the food down and take care of her while the other one ate at a more leisurely pace. Then came the quite months where Little Abbey was content to amuse herself in her highchair while we ate. I thought those months would be forever but alas, it was not to be. Now Little Abbey has developed a fascination in what we eat. She will then throw a fit until she gets some of that or one of us feeds her some of her foods that we make just for her. Either way, I find myself feeding her a spoonful and then hurriedly trying to get a bite myself before she can get it swallowed and whines for more.

When Little Abbey eats our food, she is a bottomless pit and will eat for as long as you want to feed her. Once during a visit by my brother, he cooked us some delicious fish with crawfish sauce served over spicy yellow rice. Little Abbey developed a liking for the spicy yellow rice and proceeded to eat vast quantities of it while absolutely refusing her pureed peaches, which under normal circumstances are her favorite. Soon her cheeks were a bright red from the spices and I think she would have continued eating if we hadn't all been tired of sitting at the table ourselves. There were no 'repercussions' thankfully from her spicy rice eating and since then we have taken to given her more than just pureed bland food. She eats it all with no complaints.

We told the pediatrician at her last checkup that she would occasionally imbibe in a bottle during the middle of the night, especially after something traumatic like vaccinations had occurred. He recommended not feeding her in the middle of the night anymore and just giving her a pacifier instead. I expected a gradual weaning of the bottle or at least several nights of a crying child wanting to eat but Little Abbey went cold turkey. She hasn't had a bottle in the middle of the night since.

Occasionally she cries out do to bad dreams, what a baby dreams about that is bad I have no idea, and I will put her pacifier back in only to watch her fall back to sleep immediately. I go back to bed and do the same. It is easier on me when I can pacifier while still half asleep and be back in bed in less than a minute versus the fifteen-minute routine that it takes to heat up and feed her a bottle. Much much better in the sleep department of the Abbey household.

No comments: