Monday, June 5, 2017

The River


I wrote about our spring river boating trip HERE but I never got around to cleaning out my SLR memory card until just the other day and I found these two pictures that I thought I would share. This stretch of the river has always been one of my favorites due to the long uninterrupted stretch of cliffs that bound the river as it curves. There are many places along the river with bluffs, some three or four times as tall as these, but none in as long of a stretch or quite as beautiful in my opinion. It was a perfect spot for an early snack break on the huge gravel bar on the other side of the river.

Near this spot on around the corner on the other side of the river and a bit upstream is Bee Bluff named after a giant honeycomb found there in the 1850's. After years of watching bees fly in and out of a hole in the bluff, in 1916 some locals decided they wanted some of that honey and devised a plan to kill the bees with burning sulfer and then open up the hole with dynamite. Honey came streaming down the cliff but several hundred pounds remain attached to the face. The two locals climbed up again and lowered bucket after bucket of honeycomb down to the waiting crowd but when they were done, the spectators had run off with all the honey leaving them with none.



6 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great story about Bee Bluff! I'll have to share that with my husband who is obsessed with all things bees now that he has hives of his own.

Ed said...

Kelly - Whenever I look upon these bluffs and see the tannin that has dripped down over the years, I am always reminded of bee bluff and the honey running down it.

Vince said...

Lovely story. And good images.

Ed said...

Vince - Thank you!

Bob said...

As you know, I have great memories of that river myself, and these pictures are a great reminder if its awesome beauty. Glad you cleaned the memory card and shared with us!

Ed said...

Bob - You need to get down there and make some more memories!