Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Kitchen Remodel: Part Three


So here was the first revision based upon our feedback. We made a number of changes compared to our previous revision.  Starting at the stop by the stairs, we got rid of the offset doorway from the hallway leading towards the right and the bedroom area. Instead we aligned the doorways to give a clear sight line and creates a blank wall for the hutch to sit again. It meant that we had to give up two cabinets but since we still have twice as many cabinets as in our kitchen now, I think we will still be able to fit everything in with room to spare.

On the right wall, gone are the double ovens and in the same space is an overhead microwave which will be next to our combination gas cooktop/electric oven. By moving the microwave to that wall, we are able to fit two windows into the south wall above the sink to let more light into the kitchen.

On the left wall, we moved the refrigerator up against the pantry and made it cabinet depth to give a clean line and to eliminate the tiny nook formed when it was 12 inches further north. The island has been reduced in size to give four feet wide aisles on all sides and half the cabinets underneath removed to create a seating area with two or three short stools. Not too noticeable but something that bugged me until fixed, the end cabinets on the east and west walls are in line now creating a more symmetric horseshoe shape.

We also bumped out the two bump outs that will form the new entry and pantry two more feet. The more we stare at things, we think we might not wait to have an upstairs laundry and instead might create a dual pantry/laundry area. At first I was a bit hesitant but after searching online, it appears quite common these days. as a bonus, it will make the new basement room two feet wider (10 feet total) which will open up options on its use. Right now I'm pushing for a basement work/project room of sorts.

We are pretty happy with this interior layout though we still want one more change. We want bookshelves on either end of the island for cookbooks of which we have many. That is a pretty easy change I think.

With things looking pretty firm for the interior, we started focusing on the exterior and quickly ran into problems. With the two bumpouts and deep covered porch, how does one style it so it doesn't look like the entrance to a cave? I spent hours and hours looking at pictures online trying to find something that sparked my interest but for ranch houses, the most common entrance is through a porch open on three sides, not a covered porch enclosed on three sides like what we have. After struggling with the concept for several days, I finally figured out how to fix the "cave entrance" problem. More on that in another post.

7 comments:

Vince said...

Would you mind if I made a suggestion. The days of the woman spending hours before a sink are long gone so there's no reason why the sinks need to be in front of the window. It would be better to have the sink to the left, as the first unit. That way you'll have a logic circuit with the sink at one end and then the prep area, thence to the cooking area. What I cannot fathom is where the fridge is sited, but since most things these days are easily schlepped I doubt it will matter if you have a garage fridge and a much smaller kitchen one.

sage said...

I have wall mounted microwaves and ovens and a separate cooktop. I dread the day that the wall units have problems as they are much more expensive to be worked on. I recently replaced the glass electric cooktop with a gas one because someone wanted electric and replaced their gas, so I was able to get a gas cooktop with downdraft for 500 dollars instead of 1800 (but it did cost a piece to have a gas line run to the stove and to the dryer. The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of a cooking range--you can buy a top of the line one for 1/2 of what the cooktop cost! It does look like you'll have a nice kitchen when done.

Ed said...

Vince - I most certainly welcome suggestions which is partly why I am posting these early designs. Although I do agree with the logic, I'm not sure I want to buck the trend which is putting the sink in front of a window, just for sake of future resale value. That and since I do quite a bit of the dishes, I rather like looking out at the world beyond while scrubbing, peeling, etc.

Sage - We have double ovens and it is as simple as popping off a cover and I can access all the electronics to the stove so I'm not sure I agree that they are harder to work on. Definitely harder to replace if it comes to that. Emotionally we like our double ovens but rationally, we rarely have ever used both ovens at once. It would probably be cheaper if we ever decide we made a mistake and want a second oven to put one down in the basement for those rare occasions. Since we will have to replace our refrigerator and stove/cooktop to work with this new design, I may be on the hunt for some bargains myself.

Vince said...

The argument was clothes washing not dish or veg washing. I'll bet you the amount of time you actually spend at the sink is very small relative to other activities these days. As to re-sale, I doubt people would really notice.

Kelly said...

I like the progression your design has taken and I think your basic "work triangle" has improved. It certainly fits the functional criteria we were taught in design classes.

I grew up in a house with double ovens, but apart from Thanksgiving Day, I can't think of any time I've ever wished for them in my own home. And personally I feel a sink needs counter space on either side for convenience. My microwave sits to the right of mine and there have been times I've needed more space there.

Ed said...

Vince - We probably spend more time at the sink using the garbage disposal than washing dishes. First world problems for sure!

Kelly - I think the majority of the times we used both ovens at once was more out of laziness, i.e. didn't want to rotate two cookie sheets to cook evenly, or because we were both cooking for different meals at the same time. The latter could be solved by better planning. I don't think we will miss it. In our current kitchen, we do have plenty of counter space on either side of the sink but it gets filled up with dirty pans and prepping pretty quickly. With the bumpout for the pantry/laundry, we really won't gain an inch and actually I think lose some counter space along that side but with the island, we won't have to do much prepping on that counter anymore and thus "gain" real estate.

Ed said...

Kelly - Although with the final design, the stove, refrigerator and dishwasher all open into the area we will be walking, we widened that out from about 32 inches that we currently have to 48 inches so there should be room to squeeze by if needed. Our main complaint was that the oven and refrigerator doors (when open) block our main east/west access through the house requiring one to take a circular route through the dining and living rooms to go from the garage to the hallway closet where we store our coats and shoes. So moving all the appliances off the main east/west route really trumps the perfect kitchen triangle in my opinion. I plan to put some tape down on our floors 48 inches away and open up the doors and see how it feels though before I commit. Worst case, we can increase the width of the aisle and make a smaller island which as it stands in the above drawing, it about the same size as our dining room table!