Friday, June 23, 2017

Kitchen Remodel: Part Six


I can't believe I have written six posts on this subject and we are nowhere near breaking ground at this point. I guess I tend to write posts about what is on the front of my mind and this has been occupying so much of it lately. After smoothing things over with the architect, he proceeded to create a more detailed plan. We've been scouring the internet looking for pictures of design examples that we are interested in. We've also been rethinking aspects of this whole project.

Initially we were thinking about the pantry being plumbed so it could be a future upstairs laundry when we get old. However, the more we talk about it, the more we think we may go ahead and start with it being a part laundry, part pantry, part mudroom. Since really all we care about this point is identifying the space and potential uses, we want to make sure things fit. At the end of the day, I hope to be doing all the inside remodeling so we can make it however we want at that point. For now, we rotated the washer and dryer so you won't see the backs of them through the window and allow whomever is doing laundry a chance to look outside and see where they would rather be!

We've also been flirting with the idea of where the boundaries of the basement addition will go too. The architect suggested all the way out under the porch which would be a huge additional space but I know it would probably triple the costs for that portion of the project as well. For now, we are going to extend the basement out to the front edges of the bumpouts which will create a room roughly 10 feet wide by 23 feet long. I think we will mostly use that space as a work area/storage area for household maintenance items/canvas painting area. We used to do the latter on a wall in the office area but once we remodeled that and put a floor down that we don't want drips on, we haven't had a place for painting.

The plan for now is that the rendering fellow has an opening this weekend and so perhaps sometime next week, I should have some better renderings of how things will look from the ground and with eyes instead of way up in the air and a healthy dose of imagination.

4 comments:

Vince said...

I think you may well be convincing yourself that you need this upgrade. Perhaps asking yourself a few questions to clear fluff from your head may help.
1, are you an inside or outside person.
2, if inside, which room do you spend most time.
3, if the kitchen. Do you see the old fashioned big farmhouse kitchen with cooking on one side and a big table on the other. Where the family inhabits with cooking eating homework watching TV.
4, Or, do you use the kitchen only as a place to prep food/clean, a utility work area/space.
5, are you investing in a space because you use that space, or because you think you should.
6, time your time in the kitchen. Easy to do thesedays with phone app's.
7, will the work make it's money back if you sell.
8, just how necessary is the upgrade, will it work just fine for another 2-3 years.

Ed said...

Vince - At the end of the day, we don't need the upgrade. It is one of those things that we realize it would bring enjoyment into our lives to have a nice kitchen where we spend quite a bit of time as a family. Although I hope to get some of the money back when/if we sell the place, I do know that I won't get a return on this as an investment.

Kelly said...

I rarely ever look at remodeling or addition as a point for resale. I think, like me, you're in an area that would never bring what something is truly worth. (besides, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay!) So, bottom line has to be if the cost is worth your personal gain/pleasure.

I've mentioned before that I'm not very familiar with basements... so when you talk of using yours for painting, does it have ample ventilation for that?

Ed said...

Kelly - I think we think alike when it comes to houses. I did buy the cheapest house in an expensive neighborhood but with houses that have been on the market for a couple years, I'm under no illusion that the market is returned to the point where I will get all my money out of this addition.

I don't know if we have ample but when we do paint, we have fans set up going to the outside world. Saying that however, I think the last time either of us painted anything other than a wall was probably before our youngest was born which means almost five years ago!