Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Kitchen Remodel: Part Seven


Well the design phase is wrapping up and soon I expect to write a check for an expensive few sheets of paper. But at the end of the day, I think it was worth every penny and even the few stitches in my head, but more on that later. Above is very close to what we've been envisioning with the exception of some of the cabinet doors vs. drawers and whatever those blue monstrosities hanging from the ceiling are. I suppose they are supposed to be pendant lights but royal blue?

Per our discussion, the architect stepped up to the plate and brought a structural engineer down to our house to check out how exactly we plan on doing the basement to support the extension on the kitchen. As I suspected, it was a bit more complex than what I had imagined and I think the architect was surprised as well. But now I understand what needs to be done so when it comes time to be doing the work myself or hiring it done, I know what to look for. I will also sleep easy at night knowing that it will be done right.

While crawling up in the attic with the structural guy looking to see if the column on the porch was decorative or load bearing (we suspect load bearing but he will do calculations to be sure), I rubbed my bare noggin up against a rusty roofing nail poking through the sheathing. Normally I would have been wearing a protective cap but he had been in a hurry and so I was in a hurry and didn't go inside to grab it.  At the time, it felt like a mere scratch but when I got down to two feet on firm ground, I saw blood had soaked into the band of my headlamp and soon after in the mirror I saw a pretty good dried stream of it down the front of my face. I cleaned up and it wasn't bleeding anymore so I carried on until they left.

My wife looked at it afterwards and immediately said I needed stitches. It was almost five in the afternoon so I knew I was looking at hours sitting in an emergency room to get stitched up. Fortunately my wife pulled a string and got me in to see one of her colleagues at the end of his very busy day and he stitched me up. I now owe him a case of his favorite beer, which as he said was non-taxable portion of his salary, and I will of course pay what my insurance doesn't cover, which was the taxable portion of his salary! Worth every penny! I also got a tetanus booster for good measure.

We will be waiting for our completed package and then I will begin what I expect will be the long process of finding contractors for some of the structural stuff, pricing it out and getting things scheduled. I fully expect at this point, we probably won't break ground until spring at the earliest but we'll see. I would love to do everything myself but at the end of the day I know that I have to balance time without a kitchen, everything else that goes on around us regardless of our house projects, etc. I still hope to do much of the interior work myself and some of the exterior when feasible but time will tell. This project has already invaded my dreams at night and I've found the only way to stop that is to start.


3 comments:

Bob said...

The renderings look beautiful, Ed. We are moving toward a renovation of our master bathroom but I would love to do our kitchen too. But there's that thing about limited resources again . . .

Kelly said...

It's looking exactly like I pictured from the plans... with the exception, of course, of those blue light fixtures! ;)

I know you like doing as much as you can yourself, but if I were your wife, I'd want my kitchen back in service as quickly as possible which might entail more outside help. Glad to know you got that tetanus shot. It was the first thing that crossed my mind when you said rusty nail. (note to self...check with county health dept. to see if I'm due!)

Ed said...

Bob - I did our master bath a few years back and putting in a walk in shower with body sprays and a thermostatic valve. It was worth every single penny, especially the thermostatic valve which essentially eliminated any fidgeting with the valves to get the right temperature. I just turn the shower on and about a second and a half later, perfect temperature every time!

Kelly - Since we have a gas cooktop, sink and a microwave that can all be removed and temporarily set back on plywood, I'm hoping to roughly plumb those back up to use temporarily while I finish parts of the project. It won't be ideal but it will beat doing everything on the grill out back and washing under a garden hose.