Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wild Horses

I'm still working on scanning my grandparents loose photos and albums in my spare time. Quite a number of the photos taken during my mom's childhood show a couple horses during the time my grandparents lived on a farm. My grandfather is a very practical man who didn't spend a cent unless it was absolutely necessary so it surprised me that he had bought his two kids horses.

I had the chance to ask my mom about this and asked first if Grandpa had bought horses for her and her younger brother. She replied that he had and then after a long pause, replied that looking back at it now, she is surprised that he would ever do such a thing.

A bit of time passes and then I asked my mom what happened to the horses after my grandparents moved back to the city in northern Iowa leaving my mom behind newly married and pregnant with me. She said he sold them... and then she elaborated a bit.

My mom told me that one of the horse had learned how to pull up on the handle of the water spigot near the watering trough in their pen. This infuriated my grandfather so much that while my mom and younger brother were away at school, he rounded up both horses and sold them at the local livestock auction. My mom didn't find out until she got home that night what had happened and by then, it was too late.

Almost simultaneously, we both said, "Now that is something that Grandpa would do."

4 comments:

Vince said...

Not sure what to say about this. But the animals must've been pretty old if your mom had babies on the way and wouldn't be on them that much.

Kelly said...

Well at least it's a good chance they went to another family who wanted horses to ride - unlike what happens when our cattle head to the auction. :(

Ed said...

Vince - I don't know how old they were but from the pictures and the story, they were only around for less than five years.

Kelly - Around here yes, elsewhere though dog food or glue could have been options!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Well, as a horsey girl I'd have been devastated if my dad ever did that! He was a smart horse! They could have taught him to be helpful! :). But it does make me chuckle. And I agree, at least it wasn't the glue factory!