Monday, May 1, 2017

Another Gold Nugget


In my last post I mentioned finding pictures of three of my 3 times great grandparents but only showed two. The third one I found Clementine Carr Smith shown at the bottom of the post who is married to Abraham Smith seen above. The above photo is scanned out of a country history book that I read many years ago however, also included in my grandparents photo is the original that was used for the history book. Next to the original of Abraham were the next two pictures.

Possibly Frank Smith, son of Abraham and Clementine Carr Smith
 The size, coloring, style of the above photo and the below photo are identical. They were next to each other. Yet the above photo was unlabeled while the below photo was labeled as being my 3rd great grandmother Clementine. I asked my Grandparents and they couldn't identify it the first time around but the second time when my grandfather was more alert, he identified it as their son Frank Smith, who is my great great grandfather. I plan to dig up some more photos of him and do a comparison before I put it down as certainty.

Clementine Carr Smith

8 comments:

Kelly said...

When looking at old photos like this, I tend to read into their expressions my own speculations as to their personalities. There's something sad and wistful in Clementine's gaze. Her husband, now, is another thing... I see mischief there! The fellow in the middle - calm, collected, and no-nonsense. Of course I could be entirely wrong on all counts.

Ed said...

Kelly - I definitely see the mischief in the picture of Abraham Smith!

Bob said...

My thoughts are similar to Kelly's -- it is obvious that smiling in photographs was not cool! But you're right, there is definitely mischief lurking about! You have some treasures here, Ed.

Bill said...

Treasures indeed. You're fortunate to have these pictures and fortunate that they were labeled. I'm becoming increasingly drawn back to local history (my first love) and old family photos like these are like portals to the past.

sage said...

Great photos! You have been blessed by these discoveries.

Ed said...

Bob - Thanks!

Bill - It makes things easier but sometimes it makes things more difficult. I found a picture of a lady turned away from the camera and a baby hand dated 1898. I was going down a very wrong path until by chance I noticed other pictures in another album that showed a woman with the same dress on (facing the camera) and others around her to date it 35 years after 1898. I'm guessing whomever labeled the first picture was making an assumption that wasn't correct.

Sage - I really am treasuring these pictures!

Vince said...

The 1st guy is interesting. He looks like he's had his teeth pulled.
The other two are treated to that painterly softening you see in images around the turn of the century.

Ed said...

Vince - I thought he didn't have teeth as well. I need to research the paint softening thing because I was wondering about that. I didn't know it was a fad and I'm not sure how it is done.