Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Scrap Wood


I love woodworking but unfortunately, I only have a half stall of a a two and a half bay garage to do my work in. My wife won't let me park all the cars outside permanently but does allow me to park them outside during the day if I'm making a lot of sawdust. So I must drag my equipment out in the mornings and put it back in the evenings.

Somethings however, are not conducive to constantly moving around and thus tend to accumulate in corners as evidenced by my pile of scrap wood seen above. Believe it or not, I had about five half sheets of plywood behind that pile that I had completely forgotten about. Even if I had remembered them, it would have been easier to drive clear across town and buy another sheet than to unpile all that wood to get to the sheet of plywood and put it all back. One day while reading a magazine, I saw a solution to my problem.


The solution was to build a scrap wood cart on caster wheels so I could wheel it out, walk completely around it and see if I have what I need. Back in February when it was 70 degrees out for a couple weeks (much warmer than it has been since), I celebrated by putting that cart together using two new sheets of plywood (before I discovered the five half sheets behind my pile) and some electrical conduit pipe. It has room on the back for full sized sheets of plywood and plenty of bins for smaller items.

As I put my stash of leftover boards into my new cart, I was amazed at how much I had accumulated over the years. Fortunately I barely had enough room for it all and I was able to push it back into the corner again. I now have a mission to try and come up with projects to use up some of those extra materials to get it down to a more manageable size. Now if it would just warm up again so I can get back into the garage.


8 comments:

Vince said...

Would it be easier to build a shed ?.

Nice work of the transported, very nice indeedy.

Ed said...

Vince - I would love to build a woodworking shop but right now, I have other projects that need funding... and building first.

sage said...

That's a nice cart!

Kelly said...

What a clever and practical solution! Still...with that tall stuff in it, I'm not sure I could wheel it anywhere.

Ask the women in your life how to use all that excess. I bet they can come up with some good ideas. (I know I could)

Ed said...

Sage - Thanks!

Kelly - I got some heavy duty castors so it rolls around quite easily. The women in my life suggest doing more cleaning inside the house!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Wow! That's so impressive. I agree, you need your own work area so both the cars and your projects have a place. :)
Your comment to Kelly made me chuckle!

Ed said...

Pumpkin Delight - If only the deciding votes were here on blogger!

Bob said...

Yep you found an adequate and more than workable solution. Great job!