Friday, March 10, 2017

Sunrise


I'm not sure if it is true, but somewhere while in Kauai, someone told me that they only average three days of rain a year on the south shore where we were staying. If that is true, we hit all three days during our five days there. Our room looked south across a bay so that if you wanted to see either sunrise or sunset on the water, you were out of luck. The first morning there and still adjusting time zones, I was walking along the bay and had it all to myself. However as sunrise approached, I was suddenly having to constantly adjust trajectory to avoid running into others busy photographing the bay at sunrise though it didn't see the sun until it was well up in the air. I finally looked at my watch and saw that I had fifteen minutes before sunrise and decided to hike east to a ridge that formed the east side of the bay.


I was rewarded by not only getting to see the sunrise over the water, but also having to share it with only a handful of the 1400 occupants at the resort who had the ambition to hike a 100 yards away from the hotel. I found that if I walked a quarter mile further, I literally had the entire shoreline to myself and spent the rest of my week watching the sunrise every morning thus.


I got rained on three times, once really hard, but I was always rewarded with a great view. The clouds really provided interest since the two days without clouds, it wasn't nearly as pretty of a sunrise.


I usually spent about an hour, half the time before sunrise and half afterwards just soaking it in for the day and watching the waves crash into the rocky shore beneath my feet. I think I could do it for a lifetime though if I did, I would definitely build some sort of bench with a backrest.


This picture was actually sunset over the ridge that formed the west side of the bay. It is actually another competing resort by day but lost in the shadows, it looked very inviting to me. I zoomed in tight to get a portion of the shore where there where the trees silhouetted nicely against the orange sky without all the building roof lines.


I was told that Kauai during December and January is prime whale viewing time so I kept my eyes peeled but went most of the week without seeing a single one. On our final evening, while walking with my wife on the beach, we saw one spout water and then disappear. The next day while killing time after checking out of the hotel and before our redeye home, we parked by a beach and saw another one frolicking with its fin in the air for about five minutes. Not the massive breach I hoped to see but still enough to say I've seen a whale in the wild. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera at the time so there are no pictures as proof.

8 comments:

sage said...

Very nice shots! A few clouds make the best sunrise and sunsets, in my opinion.

Ed said...

Sage - Thanks!

Kelly said...

All of these are spectacular, but my favorite is the first. I have a thing for sunbeams (God-rays). Great rainbows, too!

I agree with Sage - clouds always seem to enhance a sunrise/sunset. One of the best sunsets I ever saw was driving from Hoover Dam back to Vegas with a storm approaching.

Ed said...

Kelly - I often wonder how others view sunrises/sunsets. I live in a place with lots of trees so the sunrise or sunset is always hidden. So when I am someplace where I can see those, it has always been a real treat for me. But for someone used to seeing them, it is probably just hohum!

Kelly said...

We have lots of trees, too, so I know what you mean. I normally only see them if out in my car somewhere that provides a clear view. But even with trees around, I've seen some nice sunsets when on our pond. Maybe not that moment of contact with the horizon, but still nice.

Vince said...

Lovely indeed.

Ed said...

Vince - Thanks!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I'm always so impressed by the sunsets in HI...they might be the best ever. Gorgeous pictures.