Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I know, I know

I know, I know. I'm just getting back from Hawaii not to long ago, I'm just getting through some of the more sensitive backlog of written posts on my blog and here I am taking off for another week for a spring break of sorts to be with my family and my parents. It had originally been schedules as a boating and hiking bonanza but now I'm not so sure. See the next paragraph.

I'm not so sure because this past Saturday, I somehow managed to dislocate my kneecap, something I didn't know was possible. I'm healing now and I'm not sure what I will be able to do or not do on spring break where we are heading but I'm going anyway. I don't pass up the opportunity to spend time with family even if I had to wait for them to get back while I read a book and hobble around all day. I'll write more about that story when I get back.

Also, another splurb to let everyone know that my mom had her next scheduled followup MRI result at the end of last week. The "new" spot next to the tumor that was removed has not grown in size at all. The highlighting in the region of where the original tumor was removed is still continuing to shrink. It's hard to pin a doctor down, and I should know being married to one, but the best answer as to why these regions continue to highlight on an MRI four months after radiation ended is that the cancer cells secreted "liquids" as they were dying and the body is slow to absorb them. My translation is that they really don't know either but as long as they aren't growing, we still have time and lets enjoy it. The next MRI is scheduled for mid May.

My mother-in-law left for six weeks to go take care of business back home giving us a breather of sorts. No matter what kind of relationship you have with your mother-in-law/mother, living with them full time can eventually cause friction and it is nice to pull that bandaid off for a month and a half and let the wounds scab over and heal. They always have before so I have no doubt they will this time. She is also slated to return in mid May.

My grandparents are settling in and I continue to stop in several times a week to adjust furniture, or say hello. I was on my way to do just that and to pick up a box of old photo to digitize when I messed up my leg. (Teaser; I was hopping onto a locomotive when it happened.) Needless to say, I opted to not carry all of them to the car and told them I will pick them up after spring break. I'm pretty excited about that.

So when I get back home and caught up next week, I will catch up on everyone's blogs and catch up on mine as I'm sure you want to hear my train story. Until then!

Ed

2 comments:

sage said...

I hope your knee heals soon. You have a lot going on in your life and with your family.

Kelly said...

Dislocated knee-cap? That's a new one on me. I hope it heals quickly and doesn't cause you too much discomfort in the meantime - especially since you're headed off on vacation. (maybe the Ozarks?)

'Shrinking' and 'not growing' sound like good terms when talking about cancer, so I know you're all pleased with those MRI results. I'm happy for all of you.

My paternal grandmother lived with us even after my father died. While I know there were many positives about the arrangement (which was actually a bit bizarre and purely by choice on my grandmother's part), I've always said my mother should have numerous gemstones in her heavenly crown for living with her MIL all those years!

Have a good trip!