Monday, December 5, 2016

Reflections

Dawn on the Buffalo River, Spring 2016

In preparation for writing our annual Christmas newsletter, I was going through some photos for the year and thought this one was appropriate to perhaps include. My newsletter is often a reflection of the past year, the highs and lows, the good and bad, though I try to keep it about the highs and the good things since it is Christmas after all.

Life has always seemed to balance out for me. This year was a rough one with my mom's diagnosis with a cancer that can't really be cured, only beat into submission. However, I have spent more time with my family this year than probably any year since I was younger than eighteen. So here as I contemplate the newsletter, I still feel my world is balanced and I look forward to the year to come.

This fall while helping my dad bring in a record harvest in my mom's absence, I often felt much older than I was. My knees, one of which I've had multiple surgeries on over the years, felt stiff and arthritic at times when I was hopping onto or off of various tractors, bins and other pieces of equipment. I'm sure a lot of it has been due to the extra weight that always seems to creep back slowly when I'm not looking. I suppose I was just too busy eating to notice. So I've been on a health kick for a week now and after the initial onset of aches from being active, I've gotten to the point where I feel much much better again. One week isn't enough to undo the last several years of damage but it is a start and now that I feel my age again after just a short stint, I hope to continue on until I fill younger again. I doubt I will ever reach the 20's again but late 30's would be nice!

My youngest recently turned four and due to her birth date, won't start kindergarten for another couple years. We hope to put her into a preschool class next fall to start learning how to socialize with others and to get her exposed to all the germs so that when she starts kindergarten, she will have some immunity built up. This means that I will have more time on my hands. I still have projects left to do around the house and will always have some, but I feel I need to do something a little more productive. This fall spent on the farm has awakened within me a need to perhaps get back to my roots again. I've been contemplating going back to work on the family farm at least seasonally as needed. I haven't broached the subject with my parents yet but I'm pretty sure they would be happy to have more help so they can do other things.

So I'm approaching a new year and I don't know what will happen. I do know however, that by the end of next year, my life will be balanced as always.

4 comments:

Bob said...

That's a beautiful photo and thoughtful sentiments to go with it. I have the same problem with pounds creeping back. Since I know you like non-fiction, and you have written here about matters of age and aging, I would recommend a book called "Younger Next Year." Unfortunately I've been on a downward spiral (or should I say upward since that's the direction the weight has gone lately) but your post has inspired me to get back with some better habits. I always enjoy your posts and look forward to many more in 2017!

Ed said...

Bob - Thank you Bob! I will check out that book and I too look forward to reading many more posts of yours and others this coming year. I find a lot of happiness with blogger, both in the writing and the reading parts.

Kelly said...

I agree with Bob - both the thoughts in this post AND the photo to accompany it are wonderful. (reflection shots are some of my favorites)

It's been a challenging year for me in many respects and just reading your words here have inspired me as I face the coming year. Thanks!

Ed said...

Kelly - I love reflection photos as well but rarely am in the right place and time to take a good one.