Monday, December 26, 2016

It was so cold...


I'm still down south somewhere on vacation but I had a couple short posts that I thought I would use to fill in some of your time reading my blog while I'm gone.

I took this picture a couple weeks ago during the cold snap we had. The morning I woke up to minus ten degrees with minus 40 degree windchill factor, I went downstairs to find what you see above. Ice forming on the fireplace. It was the first time I've ever seen that happen but that was the coldest it has been in several years here too.

Like most fireplaces, the dampers aren't airtight. In regular fireplaces, measures can be taken to stop even small leaks when not in use but with an insert like I have, even that is impossible. Still I think most of that comes from the cold air in the chimney condensing the warm moist air in the house next to the blower chamber where room air is on one side of a piece of sheet metal and outside air on the other. I have a whole house humidifier that runs in the winter to keep my house a little moister than most for my nose and throat which also makes the problem worse.

After taking this picture, I started a fire but prewarmed the flue with a small ceramic heater for a half hour to get the air drawing properly before setting things on fire. It didn't take long to thaw the fireplace and me back out!

3 comments:

sage said...

I hope you had a warm Christmas this year--it was in the upper 70s here!

Kelly said...

That makes me cold just looking at it! Like Sage, we were in the 70s here. In fact, it was so warm and sticky on my walk this morning that I felt compelled to check the humidity...not something I regularly do. (and it was 93%)

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Wow! That's incredible. Not something I've ever even heard of happening. Brrrrrrrrrrrr