Monday, November 7, 2016

Ringing of the Bell

This is a couple weeks after the fact but I thought I would note it down here. My Mom completed her final radiation treatment a couple of Monday's ago and the whole family went up to accompany her. When she came through the doors post treatment, I could tell by her face how much it meant for her to be finally done. She wasted no time in walking over to the large bell on the wall and ringing it for all it was worth. Everyone, patients and medical personnel alike, all stood up, cheering and clapping. There were hugs all around from our family and from a few of the patients.

Which leads me to this observation, fighting cancer is like fighting a war. No one really understands what it is like except those who are down in the trenches with you day in and day out. I could see it in the eyes of some of the other cancer patients who got to know my mom over these last six weeks. They knew exactly what she felt. To continue the analogy, the war fighting of Mom's brain cancer is now done and we hope the peace will last the rest of her lifetime.

Since we had all gotten up at dark-thirty in the morning to make the drive up to the cancer center, we were all pretty hungry so we decided to go out and celebrate but all the restaurants that were open at that time in the morning were breakfast place so breakfast it was. With harvest over two days prior and now the radiation, I think we were all worn out and drove home to our respective houses for a well deserved afternoon nap.

Mom has a follow-up MRI during the last week of November and will also restart taking oral chemo pills but in much higher doses. That may last for a year or a lifetime but only time will tell. Fortunately, chemo agrees with her and as long as she eats before six o'clock, she has no problems. If she waits later, the chemo does a number of her stomach.

This will probably be the last post I due on this subject unless something changes. I want to thank all of you for the kind words and prayers given for my Mom during this ordeal. I know she would give each and every one of you a personal hug if she could. It means a lot to me too.

Thanks!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad this is all "past tense" for you now and I will share with my DoK group that she successfully completed her treatments. Thanks be to God!

Ed said...

Kelly - Thanks for all the prayers!

Vince said...

I'm really glad she is over the treatment. At lease this phase of it anyway.

Leigh said...

What a milestone. And what good news! Hoping and praying for a lifetime of peace for your mom and her family.

Ed said...

Vince and Leigh - Thanks!

Bob said...

Great news! And you are right, it is a war, one that I went through with both of my parents. My dad lived nearly 30 years post-cancer. Your mom is fortunate to have the strong family she has. Continued good wishes.

Ed said...

Thanks Bob!