Monday, October 24, 2016

Victory Lap


This past Saturday was bright, cloudless and mild. It was the perfect day. We had finished up harvesting soybeans a few days earlier and harvested corn on the farthest farm which means for a long haul for so much corn. The haulers got behind which slowed us down in the field but it had to be done and so we kept plugging away. On Friday, we finished our long haul field and moved Mom back home for good from Hope Lodge Cancer Center. She still has one more treatment and will probably of had it by the time most of you read this, but we are driving up and back as a family to celebrate the milestone.

As it worked out, we  had 20 acres corn left on Saturday on Mom's farm. We normally name farms for whom we bought them from but Mom bought this farm without my Dad's input, though he approved, so we named it Mom's farm in honor of her. She started in shelling corn and was down to the last eight rows by 11:40. I told a half truth to my mom and asked her to wait at the far end for another 15 or so minutes until my wife arrived to take a picture of the last trip through the field with the combine for 2016. My mom agreed and 20 minutes later didn't notice the huge caravan of vehicles that slipped into the entrance at the far end of the field and parked down over a dip in the terrain out of sight. I told my Mom that my wife was ready and we shelled the last eight rows of corn.

My Mom figured out something was up halfway through the field when she could start seeing a whole bunch of cars parked at the end of the field. All the friends and family who have spent the last six weeks helping my Mom, helping my Dad with the harvest and just support our family during this time were there for a picnic. Many were still harvesting their crops but gave up a couple hours because it was just the right thing to do. Tears flowed freely. I saw my Dad crying for the third time in my life.

Although the crops are safely in the bins and Mom is moving on to a new stage of her life of waiting and periodic checking to see if the cancer returns, there is still a few loose ends to wrap up. Mom still needs her final treatment and then in a few weeks, a follow-up MRI to inspect the hole in her brain where the cancer was. I will probably continue to help my father do some of the dirt work for a couple weeks but hopefully won't keep the long tiresome hours. I have a myriad of stuff stacked up around the home that just didn't get done and I can't put off any longer. I hope to get caught up soon. I have the next couple days off though so I hope to get some new posts written to fill in what I haven't had a chance to write about yet and buy me some time to come up with some new posts, perhaps non-farm/cancer related.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I've thought about your family often over the weekend and today. I know you're glad to finally be at this point (both in her treatment AND with the harvest!). Hallelujah!

Bone said...

Iowa and corn.. Such a cliche :)

Wishing your mom the best.

Leigh said...

A very satisfying post. Autumn is the season for finishing and winter is for rest and recuperation. Glad to hear the harvest is in and that your Mom is doing so well. Good news all around.

Ed said...

Kelly - Thank you!

Bone - It certainly is a cliche and a true one at that. Thanks!

Leigh - I'm certainly one of the few counting down the days to the first heavy snow and a weekend spent quietly in front of our fireplace!

Vince said...

Excellent idea.