Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Harvest: Part One


Farming has been taking up my life for the last few weeks which I hope explains my lack of comments on your blogs. I do get most of them read if I have a few minutes of downtime via my cellphone but it sucks to try and compose a comment in limited time so just know that I enjoy reading them.

Because my mom is still undergoing radiation and chemo and she normally drives the combine, my dad has trained a part time hired man to drive it in her place during the week. (My mom still drives it on weekends!) The hired man normally drives the grain catch cart most harvests so I have stepped up to fill that position. It means running back and forth through the field to catch the grain from the combine so it never has to stop. Not only is it the most costly piece of equipment to run and thus to lower the costs, we try to keep it running efficiently, it also determines the length of harvest. The faster it gets through the fields, the faster we get the grain safely into storage bins.


Once I am full, I haul ass down to the end of the field where my father leaves empty grain wagons and I fill them up as quickly as possible and then zoom back to the combine before it needs to unload again. Due to the bumper nature of this year's crop, that means it must unload twice a round instead of the normal once a round or every other round in leaner years. My dad has been hauling the grain in from the fields and putting it into the correct dryer bins to get dried down for winter storage. He hasn't been keeping up on even our closest fields but enough that we don't run out of wagons to fill until late in the day. Fortunately for the remaining fields much father away, my brother from the south has arrived for the next five weeks to help haul the wagons in from the field. Due to me constantly being on the move, it means many pictures such as the above two are taken on the move and through a dirty windshield. However, when adjustments are needed on the combine to efficiently thresh the corn in changing conditions, I do get out of the cab of my tractor to smell the flowers and snap a photo.


3 comments:

sage said...

I glad you're able to be there to help your parents out. That's a lot of corn!

Kelly said...

Fun photos that bring back good memories of watching our harvests in progress - though I'll admit we just owned the farms and sharecropped. But that didn't stop my husband from taking an active interest and getting involved however he could. We sold the last of our land two years ago, but for more than 25 years we grew mostly rice and soybeans, along with some cotton and other crops.

It always fascinates me how those machines can do such specific things! Imagine the days of planting and harvesting by hand!

Bob said...

Really, really interesting and what's most impressive is how your family comes together to help.