Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Baked Cards

Although my great grandmother Amanda knew me, I have no memories of her since she died when I was not yet five years old. For most of my childhood, the only think I knew of her was that she owned a box fan and had written her name on it in permanent marker. Somehow, it became property of my family and was my own personal box fan when we lived in our old seven bedroom farmhouse with no air conditioning. I know a lot about her ancestors thanks to a wonderful book that my grandmother gave me years ago but know very little about Amanda. While processing sweetcorn on the farm with my mother earlier this year, we got to talking about Amanda and husband Charles and I asked my mom what Amanda was like.

My mom said she was a straight laced baptist and thought all her children were going to hell for letting their children, Amanda's grandchildren go astray. My mom said she has memories of playing card games with her cousins and the games getting a little wild. She said one time Amanda gathered up the playing cards, spread them on a cookie sheet and baked them!

Amanda once got hit by a train and though she survived the incident, she got busted up pretty badly and had lots of scabs all over her legs. I remember my grandma talking about how the family dog spent a lot of time licking at the scabs which all healed so nicely that my great grandmother Amanda always credited it with her recovery. I forgot all about that story until my mom retold it and now I think I should spend some time searching and see if I can find a newspaper article on the subject.

My great grandfather Charles spent most of his life working at a John Deere factory and smoking and thus died of lung cancer of his only remaining lung the year before I was born. His wife Amanda would live another six years and die of Parkinson's disease which at the time, they theorized may have been caused by the trauma of being hit by a train.


5 comments:

Vince said...

Sounds like she was a handful. I don't remember my gran either and she dies when I was 6 1/2.

kymber said...

Ed - the dog-licking the cuts thing works! i know! everytime one of us got a cut or scrape (my dad would measure the cut - if it wasn't 12cms long - no need for a hospital) - he would cover our cuts or scrapes in sugar and get the dog(s) (we had many) - to lick our scrapes and cuts. i've got some serious scars on my whole body - but the dog-licking worked better than any topical antibiotic.

i love reading about your crazy (i mean that in a good way) family! keep 'em coming! oh - and the food in your last post brang tears to my eyes. you should be ashamed of yourself!

sending much love to you and yours! your friend,
kymber

Kelly said...

I was the youngest child of two youngest children (from a time when kids might be spread over 10-15 years), so I feel fortunate that I knew both grandmothers well. Not so with grandfathers given one died years before my birth and the other when I was only a few weeks old.

I've heard that before about letting dogs lick wounds, but never really knew if I should allow them to. (I guess Kymber's proof it's safe!) It's not like I haven't always had at least one dog available for the job! I can attest to the fact they're great stain-removers when you have food stains on your clothing. We had a beagle mix who was used for that purpose many times. :)

Bob said...

Family lore is the best!

Ed said...

Kymber - I've let me dog lick wounds before and although I can't say with scientific certainty that it helped, it certainly didn't hurt anything.

Kelly - I've employed many a dog at cleaning dishes but never clothes! If I ever get another dog, I'll have to try out stain removal!

Bob - It certainly is which is why I'm doing my best to record it so it lives on.