Monday, August 29, 2016

Bad and Good News

Almost like a comedy bit, we were told that while my mom was a perfect candidate for the trial up at Mayo clinic, she can't be accepted because the test was already full and had unbeknownst to her doctor, filled up two weeks before she made her first trip up there. As an engineer involved in lots of math and tests, I couldn't understand the logic of limiting the number of data points in their trial. But later when I got to thinking about it, I know the PET scans are expensive and somebody is paying for them which is probably why it is only limited to so many people with stage III astrocytoma.

So it means that my mom will be getting the currently recognized standard treatment of six to seven weeks of radiation followed by a year or perhaps more of oral chemo treatments at the "local" cancer hospital, about a two plus hour drive from the farm and about an hour and a half from where I live. Definitely not ideal but when compared to the five plus hour drive up to Mayo, it is a lot closer.

As you read this, mom will have had her first meeting with their radiation oncologist and if things go as planned, her radiation treatments will probably be a week or two away. They have a nice apartment building for cancer patients to use free of charge while they are getting their treatments complete with their own private bedroom and a common area to interact with others going through the same thing. With one kid in school and the other not yet there (and mother-in-law not slated to return until October), I'm not sure I can be there all the time but I know I will be making the trip quite often while the oldest one is in school. Fortunately my parents have a community of friends who have all pledged to spend time staying with my mom so she has company. My brother and his wife, whose kids are young adults now, are also coming up to spend a month up here to help out on the farm and with mom.

It will be a busy time through September spent with my family for the most part. I have no problems with that.

7 comments:

sage said...

Prayers for your mother as she begins therapy.

Kelly said...

Praying for all of you during this trying time.

Bob said...

Ditto on the prayers. In looking for good in this unpleasant situation, it's gratifying to read about the great support your mom has from family and friends.

Ed said...

Thanks everyone! We are all gearing up for treatments to begin the middle of next week. I think we are all happy to get them going so we can get to the next chapter once they are complete.

Vince said...

She, and you have my very best wishes.

Kelly said...

Ed, I would like to have my 'Daughters of the King' group pray for your mother during the coming weeks. Do you mind telling me her first name? If that's a problem, we can just pray for 'Ed's mother'.

Ed said...

Kelly - On the top left of my main blogger page is a link with my email address. Shoot me an email and I'll give you a name and a big thank you.