Monday, July 11, 2016

The Journey Begins


I'm sure there will be some who disagree, but in my limited experience, Filipinos are all about instant gratification which makes it hard for them to kick jet lag. When I fly halfway across the world, as tired as I am, I force myself to stay away during daylight hours and sleep at night. Usually it only takes a few days to acclimatize my body to the new reality and I'm good to go. The Filipinos that I hang out with will fall asleep whenever the urge to strikes and it generally takes them two to three weeks to acclimatize to the new time zone at their pace. So I combat this by giving them one day free and then plan an action packed day where they have neither the time or the place to nap and force them into our time zone. Thus on the second day my brother-in-law's family were here, we set out in the van above which we rented so we could all ride together where ever we may go.


The key to curing jet lag is to not give them a time or place to sleep so we took them to nearby sites where I grew up. First we went to an old river town along the river, the first of a couple we stopped at.


I've shown this one before but this is an old mill that is now probably one of the only fine dining options in our county. Their smoked and brined pork chops are heavenly along with all their food. We didn't stop to eat there on this day but I did take a picture.


It was a fine day and while we adults were walking around taking pictures and stretching our legs, the kids were having a ball in the nearby playground.

8 comments:

sage said...

It appears that you had a good time showing off the midwest (they've seen things most tourist to this country will never see)!

Ed said...

Sage - We were trying mostly to give them the flavor of living in the U.S. versus seeing sites that were important to U.S. history. That meant taking them to some historical sites but it also meant taking them shopping, seeing how vast the U.S. really is and unpopulated compared to the Philippines. I've told them many times when in the Philippines that cars were not a luxury here but a necessity and my brother-in-law told me he never understood that until we drove to Texas from Iowa. Even driving across our town he commented on how far it would be to walk just to do everyday tasks.

Kelly said...

That's a whopper of a van and almost looks like you'd need a CDL to drive it!

Your photos are great and I especially like the river shot. I like that you chose to give them a broad overview rather than just focusing on "touristy" things.

I'd hate to have to walk everywhere. The closest place to buy anything is a gas station/convenience store 2-1/2 miles away! The vastness of the US is something you truly have to experience first hand.

Bob said...

Love those shots especially the old mill w the paddle wheel. I'm with you on the travel and jet lag, except I've been able to take a quick nap, then get back up and go to bed at a normal time that night, and by then I've adapted.

ErinFromIowa said...

Our beautiful Iowa. Wonderful photos Ed. I will be thinking positive and healing thoughts for your Mom.

Ed said...

Kelly - Fortunately it doesn't qualify for weight, cargo, or number of passengers so I didn't need a CDL. However, I sure didn't like having to get around tight city quarters in that thing.

Bob - The first day is hard to adjust for which is why I always give them a day off before I force the adjustment!

Erin - I think Iowa is definitely under rated but then, I may be biased!

Linda said...

Looks like a great time. Your photos are lovely!

Ed said...

Linda - Thank you, we did have a great time!